Distilling when to stop

  • elson@cqnet.com.au
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2000
      Ive just built a still of copper and stainless steel. what my
      question is when do you know when all the alcohol is exstracted from
      the base that is being boiled?
      Q2 If I test the base before I distill and for example it reads 20%
      does that out of 25lts I should get 5lts of proof alcohol?
      The reason that Iask is I used the still and there seemed to be about
      3/4 of the bucket left.
      Any advise will be appreciated
      Thanks John.
    • Pete Sayers
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2000
        John, depending on the size of your wash, the type of still, and the
        original alcohol content of your wash, there will always be a large amount
        of wash left. Remember you are only taking the alcohol out. If you have a
        wash that is 20%, 20 litres, and you are using a pot still that should
        produce about 1 litre of alcohol per kilogram of sugar.Therefore if you have
        put down a wash of 20 litres, with 4.5kg of sugar, then you will take off
        about 4.5 litres @ around 45-50%. The balance left in the still will have no
        alcohol left in it, so toss it out. It makes good weedkiller.
        regards Pete from Brewers Barn