Re aeration

  • yldog@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2000
      just on the subject of aeration i am wondering if you maurice checked
      the alcohol content after the aeration. I was thinking that with 1
      week or more aeration with possibly an open container you would
      probably lose a large amount of alcohol through evaporation. This
      evaporation may make it appear like the spirit is less firey but maybe
      there is just less alcohol.

      sorry to be questioning this method maurice but i want to try this
      although i don't want to lose a large amount of alcohol

      assuming this does work then does anybody know why?
      thanks
      from scott
    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 4, 2000
        >assuming this does work then does anybody know why?

        possibly oxidation of some of the alcohol. This is what happens a bit due
        to slow diffusion of air through the porous walls of wooden casks. The
        other "tricks" like adding sherry (deliberately oxidised when made) or
        small amounts of acid will also be assisting this oxidation.

        Tony
      • MRX nighthawk_f9
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 6, 2000
          >>assuming this does work then does anybody know why?
          >>thanks
          >>from scott

          Scott, et.al.
          Specific to this question..... it works because you have vaporized a quantity of the alcohol (which is a molecular complex) and could achieve the same "short term" effect by diluting it.

          The aging process allows "trace amounts" of oxygen to react with certain esters and eldihydes "over time" (which are harsh to the nose and taste) which causes these elements to change into acids, which are much more pleasing to the nose and taste. This is a very slow process which cannot be sped up in any fashion that I've ever discovered.

          The use of charcoal and filtering will remove most of these elements and make your spirit more palatable, however, it cannot replace the acids formed during long-term aging, which adds considerably to the finished product.

          When you pump oxygen into a liquid, it will only hold a set amount of it in suspension, the rest escapes, so there is no point trying to add more. A few minutes with a good air-stone will add all the oxygen to the alcohol mix that it can hold. At this point, if you bottle it and put it away in a cool, dark place for 5 to 10 years, nature will do the rest. Few of us have that kind of patience.....

          You could set aside one or two bottles out of every batch and make more frequent batches..... it's amazing how fast time flies when your having fun..... Before you know it, you'll be wishing you'd set aside a lot more!

          For the short-term however, if your "shine" is too harsh to enjoy, use the "polishing" techniques set out in the FAQ section to strip away most of these elements, then add your favorite flavoring. It is, after all, better than nothing.

          Only as a matter of possible interest, the question of "blindness and death" from homemade spirits uppermost in the minds of the unenlightened is due, in large part, to the campaign waged by the U.S. Gov't during "Prohibition".
          It was an unwritten practice at the time for the "Revenuers" to leave in operation certain illegal stills that were known to be producing harmful product, while blowing-up the ones producing top-quality shine.
          Then, whenever anyone was discovered to have suffered or died from ingesting this "illegal substance", they went to great effort to make sure it got as much press as possible, to serve as a deterrent.
          I picked this tid-bit up in an old book on the history of moonshine in the U.S., written by a former agent. The Gov't has steadfastly denied this was ever the practice........

          So much for my 2 cents and 15 minutes on the soap-box.

          Don

          Great Gift Idea! FREE cell phone, internet ready at Lycos Marketplace
          http://www.inphonic.lycos.com/redirect.asp?referringpage=www.lycosd1
        • Pete Sayers
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 6, 2000
            To Don and Scott, dont worry, whilst it is LEGAL to distill here in New
            Zealand, there is still some resistance by our local CONSTABULARY,in the
            form of "Press Releases" regarding the POISONOUS alcohol being peddaled
            around town. A few months ago some unscrupulous bastard was selling home
            made alcohol to local teenagers. These kids were getting absolutely shit
            faced, and wandering (if they could walk) around town causing a problem for
            the boys in blue.This resulted in a press release stating that our children
            were drinking over proof liquor, that possibly contained toxins, poisons
            etc. I rang the policeman who made these statements( i happened to know
            him)and he came down to talk to me. I asked him the question, that if some
            wanker was imoral enough to sell home made spirits to kids, then wouldn't
            that person also be imoral enough to sell these kids watered down stuff,the
            policeman agreed. That took care of the over proof spirit bit. I then
            explained to the policeman how our Distilling Systems worked, and how ,
            because we are making small batches, and taking extra special care to
            produce the best quality spirit we can. We also go the extra distance to
            ensure that virtually no impurities are present in the final product.I also
            showed him a Gas Chromatograph read out showing that our home made stuff,
            was in facrt "Cleaner" than the store bought stuff.That policeman is now a
            "Spirit making client" and fully realises the error of his ways, and enjoys
            the product he is now making.
            Just a little story for your enjoyment
            regards Pete from Brewers Barn