Re: my first run!

  • greeneyr@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 24, 2000
      Martin,

      Yes, you should definately insulate the column to keep the reflux
      temperature constant (stops surging which will give you a less pure
      output.) Re the boiler, some people do insulate this as well (but it
      is a little hard if you use gas as the heat source). I don't think it
      is as important as the column by a long way. Use the foam insulation
      which is used around water pipes to prevent heat loss (or freezing in
      some parts of the world).

      I'd also suggest you replace the glass pebbles with stainless steel
      pot scrubbers. The efficiency is determined by the number of "plate
      equivalents" in a reflux column- and SS pot scrubbers are far better
      than 6mm raschig rings (2.4X) and 10mm glass marbles (3.3X). I
      suspect the pebbles are somewhere between the two, so SS scubbers
      would probably be about 3 times better. Use the ones that look like a
      whole pile of tiny springs twisted into a ball (but DON'T use steel
      wool- unless you want a real mess! - make sure it is stainless steel)
      Pack them into the column loosely - don't ram them in.

      Hope that helps
      Rabbi

      --- In Distillers@egroups.com, "Martin Hanover" <martin@m...> wrote:
      > Hi everybody!. iv'e just completed the construction of my Reflux
      still, &
      > about to start my first run.
      > My boiler is made from an aluminium beer keg, the column is 3' high
      ( made
      > of copper ). The packing is made up from glass pebbles, Do i need
      > insulate everything ?. As i have read it is important to stop heat
      loss
      > through the boiler and column.
      > Any help would be appreciated gratefuly.
      > Martin..

      Lots of
      > silver solder used plus flux. I intend to do a commissioning run
      with just
      > water to check for leaks, get some idea of heat up times, the
      amount of
      > water flow through the condensor plus check thermometers in the
      boiler,
      > still head and doubler. Will 2 hours or so of steam distillation
      remove all
      > contaminants? If not what else should I use. Judging from previous
      posts,
      > bleach is vey bad!
      > >
      > >Thanks in advance, Rob

      > >Yahoo! Shopping - Thousands of Stores. Millions of Products.
      > >
      > >[This message contained attachments]

      ___

      ___

      > >Message: 4
      > > Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 12:50:38 -0800
      > > From: "Ted Palmer" <tpalmer@o...>
      > >Subject: Re: Cleaning new still
      > >
      > >For SS use a 3% sodium hydroxide (lye) solution at 180 deg. F. Red
      Devil