Re: [Distillers] 55gallon stainless steel barrel

  • BOKAKOB
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 6, 2003
      Look here it is my "parralel overflow" still. It should work fine. I never went furhter than this sketch because I did not needed it. If you can not get to this site then "copy" and "paste" the whole link in the "address:" toolbar. If not then go to OFTS folder in Distillers group. There are more of pictures there.

      Well, I'm now the proud owner of a 55 gallon, closed top, stainless
      steel barrel I aquired off Ebay. It has two holes in the top, one
      small with a plug and one that looks to be the right size for a 2"
      threaded fitting.

      I would like to used this as a boiler but am faced with two
      problems.

      1. what kind of column to attach and how

      I would like to run either parallel columns or a larger one to
      increase the speed at which it runs. It would be nice to be able to
      run through a 20-30 gallon batch in a single day. I was thinking
      that I could build a sort of 'header' that would take the 2" hole
      and expand it to 4-5 2" fittings for separate columns. I'm just
      wondering if the difference in opening areas is going to be too much
      of a problem.

      2. How to fill and empty the thing.

      It's going to be heavy when full, I'm thinking I'm going to have to
      put a drain spigot at the bottom and rely on hosing it out and
      running it with just water to clean it. I should be able to make the
      column such that it is easily detachable so that filling will not be
      a problem.

      Anybody have any thoughts/suggestions?

      I can be wrong I must say
      Cheers, Alex...

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • cornyhooch
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 6, 2003
        Thanks for the ideas. I'm pretty familiar with all of your designs
        as I've been keeping up with all you have been doing. There are two
        problems that I can see with your approach, as it applies to me.

        first is attaching the columns to the drum. It requires multiple
        flanges which I've found are hard to come by around here. I found
        something that works perfect for me which is a water meter flange.
        It's made of brass and is really thick. I tapped several holes into
        the bottom of it to attach it to a stainless steel bowl for my
        current setup. However, they are $25+ each and I don't have any way
        of getting to the inside of the barrel.

        I've created a folder in the files section called 55gallonprogress
        which currently contains some pictures of the drum I have. I plan on
        keeping a picture log of my progress in this folder so everyone can
        see how it goes.

        Second is after reading Mike Nixon's book, which is very good BTW,
        the problem with using a single condenser with multiple columns is
        the precision required to insure you have the same amount of reflux
        going to all the columns. I think that having a condenser for each
        column is really the way to go.

        > Look here it is my "parralel overflow" still. It should work fine.
        I never went furhter than this sketch because I did not needed it.
        If you can not get to this site then "copy" and "paste" the whole
        link in the "address:" toolbar. If not then go to OFTS folder in
        Distillers group. There are more of pictures there.

        http://f6.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/kKQxP4ZV3_EqQmgVxBIxKFIajuhheSZF6SIseJbm
        TNKZqir-jVW3EctG1nvI_tyxihXo6k7ePP3Vx1xs/OFTS/PO/Parallel%20Reflux%
        20Still%20B.jpg

        > cornyhooch <john@t...> wrote:
        > Well, I'm now the proud owner of a 55 gallon, closed top,
        stainless
        > steel barrel I aquired off Ebay. It has two holes in the top, one
        > small with a plug and one that looks to be the right size for a 2"
        > threaded fitting.
        >
        > I would like to used this as a boiler but am faced with two
        > problems.
        >
        > 1. what kind of column to attach and how
        >
        > I would like to run either parallel columns or a larger one to
        > increase the speed at which it runs. It would be nice to be able
        > run through a 20-30 gallon batch in a single day. I was thinking
        > that I could build a sort of 'header' that would take the 2" hole
        > and expand it to 4-5 2" fittings for separate columns. I'm just
        > wondering if the difference in opening areas is going to be too
        much
        > of a problem.
        >
        > 2. How to fill and empty the thing.
        >
        > It's going to be heavy when full, I'm thinking I'm going to have
        > put a drain spigot at the bottom and rely on hosing it out and
        > running it with just water to clean it. I should be able to make
        the
        > column such that it is easily detachable so that filling will not
        be
        > a problem.
        >
        > Anybody have any thoughts/suggestions?
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
        >
        > To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to distillers-
        unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

        Service.

        > I can be wrong I must say
        > Cheers, Alex...

      • Ernest 'Pete' Lipps
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 6, 2003
          Check with Rick at http://brewhaus.com he can build a stainless column just
          about any diameter and length you might want. Prices are very reasonable, he
          has done special orders for me.

          Kindest
          regards, Pete

          ----Original Message Follows----

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 6, 2003
            Really? I've ordered stuff from him before but I didn't realize he
            would do custom stuff. Thanks a bunch for the tip!!

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ernest 'Pete' Lipps"

          • Ernest 'Pete' Lipps
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 6, 2003
              Anytime just tell him Pete lipps advised :-).....................

              Regards,
              Pete

              ----Original Message Follows----

              <lipps1948@h...> wrote:
              > Check with Rick at http://brewhaus.com he can build a stainless
              column just
              > about any diameter and length you might want. Prices are very
              reasonable, he
              > has done special orders for me.

              Kindest
              > regards, Pete
              >

              > ----Original Message Follows----
              > Look here it is my "parralel overflow" still. It should work fine.
              I never
              > went furhter than this sketch because I did not needed it. If you
              can not
              > get to this site then "copy" and "paste" the whole link in
              the "address:"
              > toolbar. If not then go to OFTS folder in Distillers group. There
              are more
              > of pictures there.

              http://f6.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/kKQxP4ZV3_EqQmgVxBIxKFIajuhheSZF6SIseJbm
              TNKZqir-jVW3EctG1nvI_tyxihXo6k7ePP3Vx1xs/OFTS/PO/Parallel%20Reflux%
              20Still%20B.jpg

              > cornyhooch <john@t...> wrote:
              > Well, I'm now the proud owner of a 55 gallon, closed top, stainless
              > steel barrel I aquired off Ebay. It has two holes in the top, one
              > small with a plug and one that looks to be the right size for a 2"
              > threaded fitting.
              >
              > I would like to used this as a boiler but am faced with two
              > problems.
              >
              > 1. what kind of column to attach and how
              >
              > I would like to run either parallel columns or a larger one to
              > increase the speed at which it runs. It would be nice to be able to
              > run through a 20-30 gallon batch in a single day. I was thinking
              > that I could build a sort of 'header' that would take the 2" hole
              > and expand it to 4-5 2" fittings for separate columns. I'm just
              > wondering if the difference in opening areas is going to be too
              much
              > of a problem.
              >
              > 2. How to fill and empty the thing.
              >
              > It's going to be heavy when full, I'm thinking I'm going to have to
              > put a drain spigot at the bottom and rely on hosing it out and
              > running it with just water to clean it. I should be able to make
              the
              > column such that it is easily detachable so that filling will not
              be
              > a problem.
              >
              > Anybody have any thoughts/suggestions?
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
              >
              > To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to
              > distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

              Service.

              > I can be wrong I must say
              > Cheers, Alex...

            • nanosleep
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 9, 2003
                It might be better to use the 55gallon drum at a stripping still
                only. You can attach only one 2 inch diameter condenser to the
                output. It should handle quite a bit of power if you make the length
                long and put in lots of tubing. This way you can quickly reduce the
                55 gallons down to something managable.
                A drain on the bottom of the barrel is the best way for emptying. You
                might also be able to use a siphon. Be sure the hose or valve is big
                enough not to get clogged. A ball valve or a gate valve which opens
                fully with no restrictions is the best bet.
                If you want to use the drum with a column, you might consider having
                the boiler seperate from the column. Your column will then be
                freestanding and seperate from the boiler. You pipe the vapor from
                the boiler to the bottom of the column. You'll need an overflow at
                the bottom of the column to let out the water and high boiling point
                components. You can have the column be whatever diameter that matches
                your heat input. The boiler to column connection can be 2 inch with a
                threaded end to match the bung on your drum (small pipe is ok as long
                as it doesn't cause too much pressure in the boiler. Vapor speed
                isn't an issue since there's no seperation going on here)

                Cleaning the barrel is going to be a real pain. I find that when I
                distill a wash with solids, the solids foam up and stick to the sides
                of my boiler. It usually requires a little scrubbing to get it
                loose. Obviously an open head barrel would be nice, but use what
                you've got! The only ideas I have are a brush with a long handle, or
                a high pressure water sprayer. The brush is cheap, but won't reach
                all places in the barrel. You might try making the lid removable in
                some fashion. This will probably be quite difficult to get it easily
                removable and air tight. A 'salad bowl' design might be easiest. You
                cut a hole in the center of the lid, and fasten an inverted stainless
                steel salad bowl over the opening. You drill holes through the lip of
                the bowl and the lid of the drum, and you use stainless nuts and bolts
                to tighten. Paper gaskets and closely spaced bolts work well to make
                this design air tight. I'd recommend welding the nuts to the inside
                of the barrel. This way you don't need to reach inside to get the
                nuts to tighten.
                I think you'd do better to have one larger column rather than several
                smaller ones. The downside is that pipe larger than 2 inches may be
                difficult to find.

                Hope this helps, and good luck!