Re: [Distillers] Raschig Rings / reflux into pot

  • Patrick Moore
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 22, 2000
      Hi all,

      This probably sounds like a stupid question, but what are Raschig rings?
      what do they do?
      Also:
      I getting a reflux still ordered into Aus. it is the Euro edition, and I was wondering how it could be converted into a pot still, and back (basically so I can change it whenever I like).
      Is it done by taking the packing out, and lowering the reflux ratio?
      I really have no idea, so if anyone can help me I'd be very greatful.
      Pat

      Ps. Does the Euro still come complete with raschig rings?

      > Ive now gone an made a reflux still and would like to know where I
      > can purchase some of the Raschig rings for the colume,Does any body
      > know where in Qland,or better in Central Qland, or if it is worth
      > getting them from N.Z.and would the cost be reasonable?

      Get free email at http://mail.netnoir.net
    • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2000
        Rachig rings are tubes or shapes made to have heaps of surface area; see :
        http://www.5continentsusa.com/cer-pack.htm for pictures of them and other
        types of packing. By increasing the amount of surface area for the liquid &
        vapour to mingle over, you increase the transfer of water-ethanol that
        happens, and thus get higher purity alcohol for the same volume of packing.
        For distillation columns under 100mm diameter however, its easier, (and more
        effective) to use stainless steel wool scrubbers - they offer even more
        surface area. Why you don't use them in larger columns is because they
        don't pack togehter well when theres heaps of them, and they're harder to
        keep clean. But they cost only a fraction of raschig rings.

        I haven't yet seen a pot conversion for the Euro, but yes it does come with
        packing already in it - some "almost rachig" like tubes at either end, with
        a core of stainless steel wool

        Tony