Re: Question for Mike Nixon

  • timmur64
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2003
      Mike, thanks for the response. I wasn't really worried about the
      temp except that I didn't see a rise after the foreshots, which made
      me question the separation. Thanks for the compliment on the still;
      I was just lucky to have access to some wonderful materials. As for
      the thermometer, it was checked for accuracy and was spot on for
      boiling temp and ice water. I'm gonna mess with placement and see
      what that does. Thanks again.
    • Mike Nixon
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2003
        timmur64 wrote:
        Subject: [Distillers] Re: Question for Mike Nixon

        Mike, thanks for the response. I wasn't really worried about the temp except that I didn't see a rise after the foreshots, which made me question the separation. Thanks for the compliment on the still; I was just lucky to have access to some wonderful materials. As for the thermometer, it was checked for accuracy and was spot on for boiling temp and ice water. I'm gonna mess with placement and see what that does. Thanks again.
        Praise where praise is due Tim!  You've done a fine job on that still.
        Mess around with placement if you like ... my intended message was that you are unlikely ever to find a perfect "sweet spot" no matter how accurate your thermometer is, so rely instead on looking for steady values and times when the temp departs from them (ignore little fluctuations up or down ... look for consistent variation).  This being so, for all those seeking the "perfect" thermometer, don't waste your money!  The calibration may be off, but will always stay that way by a fixed amount at whatever temp range you are looking at ... so if looking for steady values, it really doesn't matter.  You only need spot-on accuracy if you are working in a lab and knowing the "real" temperature matters :-)
        Mike N