Milk can lid not water tight?

  • toddk63
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 4, 2003
      Thanks for the previous dicsussion on "Galvanized Boilers". Consensus
      seems to be..."You can get away with it, but try to find a more
      suitable material" After all, we are serious amatuers striving for
      better tnan professional results.

      So I determined my milk cans were tinned. Good news. I filled one
      with some water, hammered on the lid, inverted it..and...IT LEAKED!!
      :o( My lids are the kind with the tapered fit and the flat top.

      My question is... I presume this lid needs to be water tight, right?
      Any experience out there with getting these things to seal up. Did it
      just seal right up for you or did you have to futz around with
      sealants, gaskets, etc...?

      The mating surfaces of the lid and neck have some roughness due to
      rust. I am going to take a more aggressive approach than just
      Scotch-Brite to smooth these down and give it another try.

      Thanks,

      Todd K.
    • Harley Daschund
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 4, 2003
        Unless the fit is seriously flawed,a paste of flour and water should seal it
        up...:>)

        >From: "toddk63" <toddk63@...>

        >Subject: [Distillers] Milk can lid not water tight?
        >Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 18:59:20 -0000

        ...IT LEAKED!!
        >:o( My lids are the kind with the tapered fit and the flat top.
        >
        >My question is... I presume this lid needs to be water tight, right?
        >Any experience out there with getting these things to seal up. Did it
        >just seal right up for you or did you have to futz around with
        >sealants, gaskets, etc...?

      • toddk63
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 4, 2003
          Thanks for your quick response. I had tried the flour/water bit with
          no success. Good news is I solved it this afternoon after taking
          another crack at it.

          I used sandpaper 150 grit followed by 400 to polish the mating
          surfaces. Now it only leaked in one spot and it was exactly where I
          suspected. The lid has manufactured in it a recessed grove along the
          mating surface. A linear indention making an "air hole". A hammer
          and anvil and more sandpaper fixed that right up. It is tight as a
          drum now!

          Todd K.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harley Daschund"