Re: Thoughts on galvanized boiler?

  • mwmccaw
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 3, 2003
      It is not a question of zinc rising up the column. The issue with
      galvanized pots (just like with aluminum) is that zinc reacts
      strongly with the acids in the wash, which will strip off the
      galvanizing in very short order, ruining the vessel.
      Zinc is also quite reactive (and somewhat catalytic), and will form
      a variety of new compounds with many of the organic material present
      in the wash. Many of these compounds MAY be volatile and MAY taste
      or smell bad.
      I'm not waving a panic flag that says you will be poisoned if you
      boil in a galvanized pot, just pointing out that boiling was in it
      will ruin the pot and might spoil the taste of the beverage.
      Aluminum is much less reactive than zinc (due to the presence of
      protective aluminum oxide), but it does not stand up well to
      repeated cooking of acidic compounds either.
      Cheers,
      Mike McCaw

      > zink will not be able to rise up the column. you will get more
      zink by standing on a street with car traffic compared to that of
      theoretical possibility of contamination through diffusion and
      chaotic movement of molecules. please tell me how that zink is going
      to get up the column?

      > K&J <macandjo@p...> wrote:FLAVOR00-NONE-0000-0000-
      000000000000;zinc a Big no no

      > Cheers Ken Mc

      They

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      > .

      Service.

      > I can be wrong I must say
      > Cheers, Alex...

    • Robert Lougee
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 3, 2003
        From www.Homedistiller.org:

        Galvanised materials are not safe to use on the condenser side, but
        if it's part of the boiler or at the bottom end of the column, it
        should be fine (provided you don't boil so vigorously that your wash
        bubbles up through your column and into your collecting container.
        Toxic salts from metals can be dissolved in liquid, but remain behind
        when the liquid is vaporized (as in a reflux column).
        "If it pours, drink it"
        Robert

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "toddk63" <toddk63@y...> wrote:
        > I found a couple of 40 L milk cans this weekend for cheap NZ$$$.
        They
        > are "Solar Solderless" brand. I think they are galvanized, but
        haven't
        > tested that with a drop of HCl yet. They do have surface rust on
        the
        > outside, but are for the most part shiny on the inside. They are
        > ferritic according to the magnet test. I sure am tempted to use
        them
        > with a compound column. Any thoughts on using galvanized materials
        > for a boiler?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Todd K.
      • toddk63
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 3, 2003
          I did the HCl test side by side with a galvnized nail. The nail
          bubbled, the milk can did not. They must be tinned!

          Todd K.

        • confederaterebel@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 3, 2003
            galvanized stills were used ta make shine years ago and were called silver clouds. they were generally very big, rangin from 500 gallon ta over 1500 gallon. but this was durin prohibition and that liquer was made more fer money than quality. personally i would try something of better quality. when galvinzed is het up such as cutting torch it will emit a noxious gas. not very good ta breathe let alone drink