Re: [Distillers] N/S- not happy with product quality!

  • BillyWeeble@cs.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2003
      In a message dated 7/31/03 7:43:21 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
      bigwhitehunters@... writes:

      << I am currently using SS scrubbers, would it make a significant difference
      if I replaced the SS scourers with copper? >>

      Howdy BWH, I've switched from SS to copper scrubbers with excellent
      results. My still components are the same as yours ( SS boiler with copper
      column, etc.). Make sure your wash is very clear before distilling. I rack off the
      top 3\4 of a ferment into a very clean glass carboy and let that settle then
      take the top 3\4 of that for the distillation. Add the dregs to a previous
      dreg collection, settle, rack, etc. Keep the fermenter and dregs sealed from
      the outside air (airlock, etc.). Some folks have carbon (not fishtank) in the
      bottom of their fermenter. Sometimes I do in the secondary but haven't noticed
      any improvement. Take a smaller % of mid-cut, save all the heads, tails,
      etc. and add them to the next distillation. Keep rolling those H&T's over to
      the next until you can accumulate enough on the front end for keeping in a jar
      for label remover. The nastiest tails will remain in the boiler when you
      finish every run. Try this and see if it works for you. Happy distilling!
    • tipringwaterpipe
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 16, 2003
        I'm far from being a 'Master Distiller' but I'll give you my 2 cents worth.
        • What is your water source for your ferment? Glacier, Boiled, Spring, Rain water, Chlorinated or from Thames? Most commercial Vodkas are proud to advertise their source.
        • Your fermentation vessels, are they sterilized and capable of handling the ferment?
        • Yeast? Have you used a high alcohol tolerant strain?
        • Air locks on your ferment? Sterilized?
        • Temperature? Are you within the bounds?
        • Have you let the wash settle? Is it clear or cloudy?
        • Your distillation equipment is GSA or UL approved....just kidding
        • You dilute your product with...tap water, distilled water, cool-aid or ????
        • Do you use activated carbon to filter, coffee filters, furnace filters, toilet paper filters or RF filters?
        • Have you tried holding your nose? :-)
        • What are wine fining's?

        I think there will always be a distinct aroma difference between commercial product and homemade. I prefer the later. :-)

        cheers

        Down-the-Hatch

        Tip

        bigwhitehunters <bigwhitehunters@...> wrote:

        I have made a N/S still, and have done four runs with it. I was
        hoping that the end product would be better. The vodka
        produced tastes fine but there is quiet a strong smell when
        compared to commercial vodka. The still is designed and
        run in the reccomended manner, producing 94-95%. In order
        to minimise the smell I have made my cuts as follows;

                             %OF MASH     ACCUMILATIVE %

        FORESHOTS         3%                   3%

        HEADS                    4%                    7%
        ( The taste is ok prior to this point, but not the smell)

        MID-RUN              43%                  53%
        (Beyond this point the flavour becomes quiet strong and smell
        starts reappearing)

        TAILS                      35%                  88%

        LOSSES                 12%                 100%

        I stop the collection at  81C. I have achived nearly the same results
        twice with bakers yeast (fermented to 8%) and twice with an
        Alcotec turbo(Fermented to 16%)

        Do these cuts seem excessively tight? Can anyone out there give
        me their  cuts for vodka. I do appreciate that individual taste will
        play a part.

        Is it normal for there to be some smell even with the N/S design?

        I am considering doing some of the following to try to improve the
        quality and increase the cut, what would you Reccomend?

        My boiler is stainless steel but the whole upper section is copper. I
        am currently using SS scrubbers, would it make a significant
        difference if I replaced the SS scourers with copper? If not I dont
        want to waste my time and money.

        One of my washes was not quiet as clear as the others and this
        seemed to make a significant difference to the cut(smell). I have
        been using wine finings, are there better products that will make a
        big difference?

        Or is the only solution to use activated carbon, and as some suggest
        oak chips?

        One last question. Why would I use wood or peat activated carbon
        rather than coal based carbon (which can be reactivated)?

        Many Thanks

        Jim

        Do you Yahoo!?