Re: [Distillers] Thoughts on galvanized boiler?

  • BOKAKOB
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2003
      this should be fine.

      toddk63 <toddk63@...> wrote:
      I found a couple of 40 L milk cans this weekend for cheap NZ$$$.  They
      are "Solar Solderless" brand. I think they are galvanized, but haven't
      tested that with a drop of HCl yet.  They do have surface rust on the
      outside, but are for the most part shiny on the inside.  They are
      ferritic according to the magnet test.  I sure am tempted to use them
      with a compound column.  Any thoughts on using galvanized materials
      for a boiler?

      Thanks,

      Todd K.

      I can be wrong I must say
      Cheers, Alex...

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • BOKAKOB
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2003
        zink will not be able to rise up the column. you will get more zink by standing on a street with car traffic compared to that of theoretical possibility of contamination through diffusion and chaotic movement of molecules. please tell me how that zink is going to get up the column?

        K&J <macandjo@...> wrote:
        zinc a Big no no

        Cheers Ken Mc

        I found a couple of 40 L milk cans this weekend for cheap NZ$$$. They
        are "Solar Solderless" brand. I think they are galvanized, but haven't
        tested that with a drop of HCl yet. They do have surface rust on the
        outside, but are for the most part shiny on the inside. They are
        ferritic according to the magnet test. I sure am tempted to use them
        with a compound column. Any thoughts on using galvanized materials
        for a boiler?

        Thanks,

        Todd K.

        .

        I can be wrong I must say
        Cheers, Alex...

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • mwmccaw
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 3, 2003
          It is not a question of zinc rising up the column. The issue with
          galvanized pots (just like with aluminum) is that zinc reacts
          strongly with the acids in the wash, which will strip off the
          galvanizing in very short order, ruining the vessel.
          Zinc is also quite reactive (and somewhat catalytic), and will form
          a variety of new compounds with many of the organic material present
          in the wash. Many of these compounds MAY be volatile and MAY taste
          or smell bad.
          I'm not waving a panic flag that says you will be poisoned if you
          boil in a galvanized pot, just pointing out that boiling was in it
          will ruin the pot and might spoil the taste of the beverage.
          Aluminum is much less reactive than zinc (due to the presence of
          protective aluminum oxide), but it does not stand up well to
          repeated cooking of acidic compounds either.
          Cheers,
          Mike McCaw

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          > .

          Service.

          > I can be wrong I must say
          > Cheers, Alex...

        • Robert Lougee
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 3, 2003
            From www.Homedistiller.org:

            Galvanised materials are not safe to use on the condenser side, but
            if it's part of the boiler or at the bottom end of the column, it
            should be fine (provided you don't boil so vigorously that your wash
            bubbles up through your column and into your collecting container.
            Toxic salts from metals can be dissolved in liquid, but remain behind
            when the liquid is vaporized (as in a reflux column).
            "If it pours, drink it"
            Robert

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "toddk63" <toddk63@y...> wrote:
            > I found a couple of 40 L milk cans this weekend for cheap NZ$$$.
            They
            > are "Solar Solderless" brand. I think they are galvanized, but
            haven't
            > tested that with a drop of HCl yet. They do have surface rust on
            the
            > outside, but are for the most part shiny on the inside. They are
            > ferritic according to the magnet test. I sure am tempted to use
            them
            > with a compound column. Any thoughts on using galvanized materials
            > for a boiler?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Todd K.
          • toddk63
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 3, 2003
              I did the HCl test side by side with a galvnized nail. The nail
              bubbled, the milk can did not. They must be tinned!

              Todd K.

            • confederaterebel@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 3, 2003
                galvanized stills were used ta make shine years ago and were called silver clouds. they were generally very big, rangin from 500 gallon ta over 1500 gallon. but this was durin prohibition and that liquer was made more fer money than quality. personally i would try something of better quality. when galvinzed is het up such as cutting torch it will emit a noxious gas. not very good ta breathe let alone drink