Re: [Distillers] Re: Historical Recipe Collection

  • BOKAKOB
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 2, 2003
      Blessed those who believe if you know what that mean.

      stillyaakman <stillyaakman@...> wrote:
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "homedistiller"
      <homedistiller@y...> wrote:
      > Thanks Wal, for all that info!
      >
      > Now, I have a question: the Old Testament of the Bible mentions the
      > consumption of what is called "strong drink"

      Howdy,
      I studied this question wnen I was a youth questioning the teachings
      of the church I was raised in. They taught that consuming alcohol was
      a sin. My question was, if that is so why did God tell his people
      to "buy wine or strong drink or whatever your heart desires".
      The answer was that strong drink was beer. And the result of my
      studies led me to avoid irrational and illogical religous rules!
      Now I figure if God wants me to behave a certain way he will tell me
      himself.

      I can be wrong I must say
      Cheers, Alex...

      Do you Yahoo!?
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 2, 2003
        The Babylonians were brewing beer and it was more widely consumed
        than wine - so beer and wine would have been known to people in the
        Old Testament. But the beer was not strong, so it is a question of
        interpretation and translation. Wine is part of Jewish and Christian
        rituals, so how can it be sinful?
        Wal
        > Blessed those who believe if you know what that mean.
        >
        > stillyaakman <stillyaakman@y...> wrote:--- In
        Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "homedistiller"
        > <homedistiller@y...> wrote:
        > > Thanks Wal, for all that info!
        > >
        > > Now, I have a question: the Old Testament of the Bible mentions
        the
        > > consumption of what is called "strong drink"
        >
        > Howdy,
        > I studied this question wnen I was a youth questioning the
        teachings
        > of the church I was raised in. They taught that consuming alcohol
        was
        > a sin. My question was, if that is so why did God tell his people
        > to "buy wine or strong drink or whatever your heart desires".
        > The answer was that strong drink was beer. And the result of my
        > studies led me to avoid irrational and illogical religous rules!
        > Now I figure if God wants me to behave a certain way he will tell
        me
        > himself.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
        >
        > To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to distillers-
        unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

        Service.