Thoughts on galvanized boiler?

  • toddk63
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2003
      I found a couple of 40 L milk cans this weekend for cheap NZ$$$. They
      are "Solar Solderless" brand. I think they are galvanized, but haven't
      tested that with a drop of HCl yet. They do have surface rust on the
      outside, but are for the most part shiny on the inside. They are
      ferritic according to the magnet test. I sure am tempted to use them
      with a compound column. Any thoughts on using galvanized materials
      for a boiler?

      Thanks,

      Todd K.
    • BOKAKOB
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2003
        this should be fine.

        toddk63 <toddk63@...> wrote:
        I found a couple of 40 L milk cans this weekend for cheap NZ$$$.  They
        are "Solar Solderless" brand. I think they are galvanized, but haven't
        tested that with a drop of HCl yet.  They do have surface rust on the
        outside, but are for the most part shiny on the inside.  They are
        ferritic according to the magnet test.  I sure am tempted to use them
        with a compound column.  Any thoughts on using galvanized materials
        for a boiler?

        Thanks,

        Todd K.

        I can be wrong I must say
        Cheers, Alex...

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • BOKAKOB
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2, 2003
          zink will not be able to rise up the column. you will get more zink by standing on a street with car traffic compared to that of theoretical possibility of contamination through diffusion and chaotic movement of molecules. please tell me how that zink is going to get up the column?

          K&J <macandjo@...> wrote:
          zinc a Big no no

          Cheers Ken Mc

          I found a couple of 40 L milk cans this weekend for cheap NZ$$$. They
          are "Solar Solderless" brand. I think they are galvanized, but haven't
          tested that with a drop of HCl yet. They do have surface rust on the
          outside, but are for the most part shiny on the inside. They are
          ferritic according to the magnet test. I sure am tempted to use them
          with a compound column. Any thoughts on using galvanized materials
          for a boiler?

          Thanks,

          Todd K.

          .

          I can be wrong I must say
          Cheers, Alex...

          Do you Yahoo!?
        • mwmccaw
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 3, 2003
            It is not a question of zinc rising up the column. The issue with
            galvanized pots (just like with aluminum) is that zinc reacts
            strongly with the acids in the wash, which will strip off the
            galvanizing in very short order, ruining the vessel.
            Zinc is also quite reactive (and somewhat catalytic), and will form
            a variety of new compounds with many of the organic material present
            in the wash. Many of these compounds MAY be volatile and MAY taste
            or smell bad.
            I'm not waving a panic flag that says you will be poisoned if you
            boil in a galvanized pot, just pointing out that boiling was in it
            will ruin the pot and might spoil the taste of the beverage.
            Aluminum is much less reactive than zinc (due to the presence of
            protective aluminum oxide), but it does not stand up well to
            repeated cooking of acidic compounds either.
            Cheers,
            Mike McCaw

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            > .

            Service.

            > I can be wrong I must say
            > Cheers, Alex...

          • Robert Lougee
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 3, 2003
              From www.Homedistiller.org:

              Galvanised materials are not safe to use on the condenser side, but
              if it's part of the boiler or at the bottom end of the column, it
              should be fine (provided you don't boil so vigorously that your wash
              bubbles up through your column and into your collecting container.
              Toxic salts from metals can be dissolved in liquid, but remain behind
              when the liquid is vaporized (as in a reflux column).
              "If it pours, drink it"
              Robert

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "toddk63" <toddk63@y...> wrote:
              > I found a couple of 40 L milk cans this weekend for cheap NZ$$$.
              They
              > are "Solar Solderless" brand. I think they are galvanized, but
              haven't
              > tested that with a drop of HCl yet. They do have surface rust on
              the
              > outside, but are for the most part shiny on the inside. They are
              > ferritic according to the magnet test. I sure am tempted to use
              them
              > with a compound column. Any thoughts on using galvanized materials
              > for a boiler?
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Todd K.
            • toddk63
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 3, 2003
                I did the HCl test side by side with a galvnized nail. The nail
                bubbled, the milk can did not. They must be tinned!

                Todd K.

              • confederaterebel@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 3, 2003
                  galvanized stills were used ta make shine years ago and were called silver clouds. they were generally very big, rangin from 500 gallon ta over 1500 gallon. but this was durin prohibition and that liquer was made more fer money than quality. personally i would try something of better quality. when galvinzed is het up such as cutting torch it will emit a noxious gas. not very good ta breathe let alone drink
                • K&J
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 3, 2003
                    zinc a Big no no

                    Cheers Ken Mc