Re: Historical Recipe Collection

  • stillyaakman
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 2, 2003
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "homedistiller"
      <homedistiller@y...> wrote:
      > Thanks Wal, for all that info!
      >
      > Now, I have a question: the Old Testament of the Bible mentions the
      > consumption of what is called "strong drink"

      Howdy,
      I studied this question wnen I was a youth questioning the teachings
      of the church I was raised in. They taught that consuming alcohol was
      a sin. My question was, if that is so why did God tell his people
      to "buy wine or strong drink or whatever your heart desires".
      The answer was that strong drink was beer. And the result of my
      studies led me to avoid irrational and illogical religous rules!
      Now I figure if God wants me to behave a certain way he will tell me
      himself.
    • homedistiller
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 2, 2003
        Hi,`

        Thank God you were interested in what was true! It's definitely
        better to be confused than to believe a lie!

        Well, I asked this question on the forum to find out about the
        earliest reports on distilling. There is a lot of confusion about it.
        Many reports speak about the arabs being first, but the chinese
        seemed to be earlier.

        It's possible that "strong drink" in the Bible means something else
        than "distilled" but I think they must have had some ways to
        "fortify" wine.

        By the way, thank you, Wal and Bokakob for those answers!

        Dirk

        In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "stillyaakman" <stillyaakman@y...>
        wrote:
        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "homedistiller"
        > <homedistiller@y...> wrote:
        > > Thanks Wal, for all that info!
        > >
        > > Now, I have a question: the Old Testament of the Bible mentions
        the
        > > consumption of what is called "strong drink"
        >
        > Howdy,
        > I studied this question wnen I was a youth questioning the
        teachings
        > of the church I was raised in. They taught that consuming alcohol
        was
        > a sin. My question was, if that is so why did God tell his people
        > to "buy wine or strong drink or whatever your heart desires".
        > The answer was that strong drink was beer. And the result of my
        > studies led me to avoid irrational and illogical religous rules!
        > Now I figure if God wants me to behave a certain way he will tell
        me
        > himself.
      • PJ
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 2, 2003
          --- "homedistiller" wrote:
          > Hi,`
          >
          > Snip< It's definitely better to be confused
          > than to believe a lie!
          >
          > Snip< but the chinese seemed to be earlier.

          Dirk

          The Chinese lay claim to all things that suit them. Nothing against
          that society as they 'seem' to have ancient records of a lot of
          things. You know - first language, writing and all..

          I have no idea about the first 'strong drink' - however, there were
          lots of things that happened in those times that were not recorded
          for our "history". Let your imagination run wild and I'm sure you
          could conger up lots of possibilities.

          "Ugg and Grunt were sitting by the fire heating up their grain moog
          and saw that it was getting a little warm. They placed the 'now
          famous' sheep skin over the stone pot and promptly went to sleep.
          Next morning everything seemed to be gone. Ugg said 'Grap... and then
          they sucked the last bits of stuff from the fur.. They got drunker
          than 'pfuiff' and this - forever more - became known as:
          "Ummm strong moog". Mmmm... get the gathers. me gona make more..

          lol...
        • BOKAKOB
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 2, 2003
            Blessed those who believe if you know what that mean.

            <homedistiller@y...> wrote:
            > Thanks Wal, for all that info!
            >
            > Now, I have a question: the Old Testament of the Bible mentions the
            > consumption of what is called "strong drink"

            Howdy,
            I studied this question wnen I was a youth questioning the teachings
            of the church I was raised in. They taught that consuming alcohol was
            a sin. My question was, if that is so why did God tell his people
            to "buy wine or strong drink or whatever your heart desires".
            The answer was that strong drink was beer. And the result of my
            studies led me to avoid irrational and illogical religous rules!
            Now I figure if God wants me to behave a certain way he will tell me
            himself.

            I can be wrong I must say
            Cheers, Alex...

            Do you Yahoo!?
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 2, 2003
              The Babylonians were brewing beer and it was more widely consumed
              than wine - so beer and wine would have been known to people in the
              Old Testament. But the beer was not strong, so it is a question of
              interpretation and translation. Wine is part of Jewish and Christian
              rituals, so how can it be sinful?
              Wal
              > Blessed those who believe if you know what that mean.
              >
              > stillyaakman <stillyaakman@y...> wrote:--- In
              Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "homedistiller"
              > <homedistiller@y...> wrote:
              > > Thanks Wal, for all that info!
              > >
              > > Now, I have a question: the Old Testament of the Bible mentions
              the
              > > consumption of what is called "strong drink"
              >
              > Howdy,
              > I studied this question wnen I was a youth questioning the
              teachings
              > of the church I was raised in. They taught that consuming alcohol
              was
              > a sin. My question was, if that is so why did God tell his people
              > to "buy wine or strong drink or whatever your heart desires".
              > The answer was that strong drink was beer. And the result of my
              > studies led me to avoid irrational and illogical religous rules!
              > Now I figure if God wants me to behave a certain way he will tell
              me
              > himself.
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
              >
              > To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to distillers-
              unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

              Service.