Re: Indirect heating - water or oil baths

  • homedistiller
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2003
      I have "modified" a double walled stainless steel pot (20 liter)
      meant to keep food warm.
      I drilled one hole on top of the cavity so that it could be filled
      with water.
      When I put the pot on the flame, I found the results very pleasing: a
      very even and intense heat because of the surrounding water bath.
      I didn't distill with it though.

      There are several advantages for such systems: cheap, high heat
      capacity, no danger for local overheating and scorching, buffer
      capacity... and since it is an open system, there is also no risk for
      steam explosions. When the water boiled, the steam could easily
      escape.

      Dirk

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)" <
      Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:
      > Can someone step me through the issues of using water or oil baths
      for heating a still ?

      > What volume of liquid is required - just a thin layer (1cm ?)
      around the inner pot & up its sides, or have it fairly floating in a
      large volume of it ?

      > Does the outer liquid depth only need to match the inner liquid
      depth ?

      > Should the outer container (holding the water/oil) be closed over
      very close to the inner pot, or not ? Eg is steam/splashing a
      problem from the bath ?