Re: [Distillers] Results/Advise

  • Hector A. Landaeta C.
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 28 4:58 AM
      Re: [Distillers] Results/Advise On 28/7/03 5:37 AM, "Ken Grady" <kengrady@...> wrote:

      Gday All,

      I fired up my new still on Saturday & redistilled 5lts of 50% abv I had from previously & got back 2.5lts of 95% abv. Today (Sunday) I run 25lt wash which I originally stuffed up  because I only put 4.5kg of raw sugar in it instead of 6+kg & this time I only got 2.5lts @ 95% again. The temperature was a constant 78.4deg, & towards the end the temp. started fluctuating up & down until there was no more product coming off.

      Hola Ken!
      Same volume, same yeast, same temp and length of fermentation?  If the only variable was sugar composition then you found out yeast likes more fructose than sucrose, which is no news.  Perhaps your white sugar batch’s yeast didn’t do as thorough job as your raw one.  Typical raw sugar’s composition is more than half fructose and the rest sucrose.  Impurities that give this kind of sugar it’s color contain nutritionally interesting substances for yeast also.  Interesting to note is the fact that being just a boiling till crystallization process, in the case of raw sugar, and halfway purification, in brown sugar, both are more expensive than white sugar.
      Salud!
      --
      Héctor Landaeta.
      Colonia Tovar - Venezuela.