Re: [Distillers] treating new oak casks/brandy

  • maxime belair
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 30, 2003
      Hi Mike,

      I know the new oak barrels (from american
      oak) they use in spain for sherry are first filled
      with water for a period of time. I think it is for one
      year. As much time is probably not essential.

      I think Brandy is distilled to 62-78%, if you have a
      thumper you can get 70-85% from a single distillation.

      Try to search a bit on internet to find the % to which
      it is distilled.
      One distillation usually gives 40-60%
      2 usually gives 70-85%

      But again, you can get more than 60% with a single
      distillation. Tall column will allow condensation on
      the sides of the column, shape of the head, etc.

      That's probably why you've heard that brandy is
      distilled one and two times...

      It depends of the still, what you have to look for is
      the % to which it is distilled.

      I hope this helps a bit,

      Max B.

      --- mike karnowski <djpotpie@...> a écrit : >
      Hello all, I have two questions:
      > when using a new oak barrel (3 gal, american oak,
      > light toast) do you have to treat it before adding a
      > spirit to it? I know if you are using it for wine
      > you need to but i'm not sure about a whiskey.
      > also, is brandy run through the still once or
      > several times? I have seen references for both.
      > Thanks in advance! -m

      > design software

      Lèche-vitrine ou lèche-écran ?
      magasinage.yahoo.ca