cleaning carbon

  • dgt1232002
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 29, 2003
      I have been using this method to clean my carbon for a while. I hope
      others may find this of use. It is simple and quite safe.

      Boil the carbon in a pressure cooker for 20 or 30 minutes, drain the
      water and place the wet carbon in an electric fry pan on the highest
      setting, around 220 deg C firstly with the lid on. Turn the carbon at
      regular intervals untill it is dry. It should then be clean and free
      from odour.
      Both my pressure cooker and electric fry pan were bought at
      secondhand markets for around $5 each. I do not recomend using the
      one from in the kitchen.
      Cooking the used carbon in the pressure cooker should be done in the
      sanctity of your shed to preserve household bliss.

      Some interesting websites in todays Herald Sun Newspaper
      www.cocktailtimes.com
      www.webtender.com
      www.cocktail.com
      www.kingcocktail.com
      http://cocktails.about.com/cs/cocktailrecipes

      Hope some people find this of use
      Don
    • Bob Bourne
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 29, 2003
        V'useful Don and great links too.

        Bob Bourne.
        > I have been using this method to clean my carbon for a while. I hope
        > others may find this of use. It is simple and quite safe.
        >
        > Boil the carbon in a pressure cooker for 20 or 30 minutes, drain the
        > water and place the wet carbon in an electric fry pan on the highest
        > setting, around 220 deg C firstly with the lid on. Turn the carbon at
        > regular intervals untill it is dry. It should then be clean and free
        > from odour.
        > Both my pressure cooker and electric fry pan were bought at
        > secondhand markets for around $5 each. I do not recomend using the
        > one from in the kitchen.
        > Cooking the used carbon in the pressure cooker should be done in the
        > sanctity of your shed to preserve household bliss.
        >
        > Some interesting websites in todays Herald Sun Newspaper
        > www.cocktailtimes.com
        > www.webtender.com
        > www.cocktail.com
        > www.kingcocktail.com
        > http://cocktails.about.com/cs/cocktailrecipes
        >
        > Hope some people find this of use
        > Don
        >

        > To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to
        distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

      • Harley Daschund
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 30, 2003
          Why use a pressure cooker?...I would think this would tend to hold the
          'nasties' in,as opposed to 'open boiling' which would allow the 'nasties' to
          escape with the steam...:>)...not saying you are wrong,just trying to
          understand....

        • BOKAKOB
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 30, 2003
            Boiling point in the pressure cooker is much higher that of the open pot at sea level. The "nasties" will be washed out of the charcoal more thoroughly with high temperature.

            Harley Daschund <harley_daschund@...> wrote:
            Why use a pressure cooker?...I would think this would tend to hold the
            'nasties' in,as opposed to 'open boiling' which would allow the 'nasties' to
            escape with the steam...:>)...not  saying you are wrong,just trying to
            understand....

            I can be wrong I must say
            Cheers, Alex...

            Do you Yahoo!?
          • Harley Daschund
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 30, 2003
              ...and the pressure cooker has to be cooled down B4 opening.....I accept
              that the 'nasties' will not be re-absorbed immediately but,simply boiling
              and air drying has worked fine for my carbon in the past...again...I am NOT
              disagreeing with the process but still( :>) ) fail to see where pressure
              cooking has any advantage....:>)

              >From: BOKAKOB <bokakob@...>
              >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [Distillers] cleaning carbon
              >Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 10:04:18 -0700 (PDT)
              >
              >Boiling point in the pressure cooker is much higher that of the open pot at
              >sea level. The "nasties" will be washed out of the charcoal more thoroughly
              >with high temperature.
              >
              >Harley Daschund <harley_daschund@...> wrote:Why use a pressure
              >cooker?...I would think this would tend to hold the
              >'nasties' in,as opposed to 'open boiling' which would allow the 'nasties'
              >escape with the steam...:>)...not saying you are wrong,just trying to
              >understand....

            • peter_vcb
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 31, 2003
                hi Harley
                the boiling point of some fusels varies around 100-130C most below
                120C, at 15 psi your water is 121C so some reckon it gets rid of
                them. i would question this as the BP of the fusels will be higher
                under pressure too. under pressure you can be sure that water has
                been forced into all the pores in the carbon so it will penetrate
                faster. a good way would be to have the carbon in a heat proof seive
                in the pressure cooker, heat up and keep venting steam, this will get
                a nice flow of 121C saturated steam flowing through the carbon like a
                steam cleaner. i just boiled mine and microwave it or heat it up very
                hot in an empty saucepan to drive the higher BP fusels off. easier
                still is to just make a better still to start with and forget about
                carbon!

                Peter
              • Harley Daschund
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 31, 2003
                  How are these fusels,of the 100C+ BP variety,getting into your
                  distillate?.....I never collect past 80-81c on a final run...:>)

                  >From: "peter_vcb" <viciousblackout@...>
                  >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: [Distillers] Re: cleaning carbon
                  >Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 13:51:18 -0000
                  >
                  >hi Harley
                  >the boiling point of some fusels varies around 100-130C most below
                  >120C, at 15 psi your water is 121C so some reckon it gets rid of
                  >them. i would question this as the BP of the fusels will be higher
                  >under pressure too. under pressure you can be sure that water has
                  >been forced into all the pores in the carbon so it will penetrate
                  >faster. a good way would be to have the carbon in a heat proof seive
                  >in the pressure cooker, heat up and keep venting steam, this will get
                  >a nice flow of 121C saturated steam flowing through the carbon like a
                  >steam cleaner. i just boiled mine and microwave it or heat it up very
                  >hot in an empty saucepan to drive the higher BP fusels off. easier
                  >still is to just make a better still to start with and forget about
                  >carbon!
                  >
                  >Peter

                • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 31, 2003
                    > How are these fusels,of the 100C+ BP variety,getting into your
                    > distillate?.....I never collect past 80-81c on a final run...:>)

                    the same way that water with its boiling point of 100C gets into your brew.
                    A mixture doesnt behave like its individual members.

                    Tony
                  • Harley Daschund
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 31, 2003
                      Right...and using that logic,the higher temps shouldnt be required to remove
                      them...:>)

                      >From: "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)" <Tony.Ackland@...>
                      >To: <Distillers@yahoogroups.com>
                      >Subject: RE: [Distillers] Re: cleaning carbon
                      >Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 07:51:19 +1200
                      >
                      > > How are these fusels,of the 100C+ BP variety,getting into your
                      > > distillate?.....I never collect past 80-81c on a final run...:>)
                      >
                      >the same way that water with its boiling point of 100C gets into your brew.
                      >A mixture doesnt behave like its individual members.
                      >
                      >Tony

                    • Mike Nixon
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 31, 2003
                        Harley Daschund
                        Subject: RE: [Distillers] Re: cleaning carbon

                        Right...and using that logic,the higher temps shouldnt be required to remove them...:>)
                        Tony Ackland wrote:
                        [Q: How are these fusels,of the 100C+ BP variety,getting into your distillate?.....I never  collect past 80-81c on a final run...:>)]

                        A: The same way that water with its boiling point of 100C gets into your brew.
                             A mixture doesnt behave like its individual members.
                        Tony
                        Au contraire Harley, logic says that higher temps will be beneficial!  :-)
                        Temperature is a measure of the kinetic energy of molecules ... the higher the temp the faster they move.
                        You are trying to break an electrostatic bond to release the adsorbed molecules from the carbon, so the more molecular agitation you get then the more bonds you will break.
                        MIke N

                      • Harley Daschund
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 1, 2003
                          OK....then you agree that 'pressure cooking' used carbon is better than
                          merely boiling in an open container,allowing steam to escape through the
                          whole process?.......as I stated in my original post,I am NOT
                          disagreeing,just trying to decide whether I need to change my
                          carbon-cleaning method...:>)...thanks...