Re: Historical Recipe Collection

  • homedistiller
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 29, 2003
      Thanks Wal, for all that info!

      Now, I have a question: the Old Testament of the Bible mentions the
      consumption of what is called "strong drink"

      Supposedly, distillation didn't exist yet in those times. What was
      then this "strong drink" ??? Do you have a clue about this ?

      Thanks,

      Dirk
    • Gramps

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 29, 2003
          Gramps wrote:
          Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: Historical Recipe Collection

          G'day Dirk,my father warned me about strong drink and said that water was the strongest drink that he knew of.It could destroy mountains,carry the heaviest ships known to man and wash away all sins,
          Regards,Ken.
          =========================
          Hi Ken ... sorry, but I'm feeling frisky tonight  :-)
          (With the greatest respect for his counsel, which my grandfather also preached) .... did he drink his water neat?
          Slainte!
          Mike N

        • BOKAKOB
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 29, 2003
            Distillation existed for thousand of years. By placing a clean animal hide over an open boiling pot with fermented liquid and then periodically wringing this "collector" of vapors it is possible to distill to a considerable strength.

            homedistiller <homedistiller@...> wrote:
            Thanks Wal, for all that info!

            Now, I have a question: the Old Testament of the Bible mentions the
            consumption of what is called "strong drink"

            Supposedly, distillation didn't exist yet in those times. What was
            then this "strong drink" ??? Do you have a clue about this ?

            Thanks,

            Dirk

            I can be wrong I must say
            Cheers, Alex...

            Do you Yahoo!?
          • stillyaakman
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 2, 2003
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "homedistiller"
              <homedistiller@y...> wrote:
              > Thanks Wal, for all that info!
              >
              > Now, I have a question: the Old Testament of the Bible mentions the
              > consumption of what is called "strong drink"

              Howdy,
              I studied this question wnen I was a youth questioning the teachings
              of the church I was raised in. They taught that consuming alcohol was
              a sin. My question was, if that is so why did God tell his people
              to "buy wine or strong drink or whatever your heart desires".
              The answer was that strong drink was beer. And the result of my
              studies led me to avoid irrational and illogical religous rules!
              Now I figure if God wants me to behave a certain way he will tell me
              himself.
            • homedistiller
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 2, 2003
                Hi,`

                Thank God you were interested in what was true! It's definitely
                better to be confused than to believe a lie!

                Well, I asked this question on the forum to find out about the
                earliest reports on distilling. There is a lot of confusion about it.
                Many reports speak about the arabs being first, but the chinese
                seemed to be earlier.

                It's possible that "strong drink" in the Bible means something else
                than "distilled" but I think they must have had some ways to
                "fortify" wine.

                By the way, thank you, Wal and Bokakob for those answers!

                Dirk

                In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "stillyaakman" <stillyaakman@y...>
                wrote:
                > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "homedistiller"
                > <homedistiller@y...> wrote:
                > > Thanks Wal, for all that info!
                > >
                > > Now, I have a question: the Old Testament of the Bible mentions
                the
                > > consumption of what is called "strong drink"
                >
                > Howdy,
                > I studied this question wnen I was a youth questioning the
                teachings
                > of the church I was raised in. They taught that consuming alcohol
                was
                > a sin. My question was, if that is so why did God tell his people
                > to "buy wine or strong drink or whatever your heart desires".
                > The answer was that strong drink was beer. And the result of my
                > studies led me to avoid irrational and illogical religous rules!
                > Now I figure if God wants me to behave a certain way he will tell
                me
                > himself.
              • PJ
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 2, 2003
                  --- "homedistiller" wrote:
                  > Hi,`
                  >
                  > Snip< It's definitely better to be confused
                  > than to believe a lie!
                  >
                  > Snip< but the chinese seemed to be earlier.

                  Dirk

                  The Chinese lay claim to all things that suit them. Nothing against
                  that society as they 'seem' to have ancient records of a lot of
                  things. You know - first language, writing and all..

                  I have no idea about the first 'strong drink' - however, there were
                  lots of things that happened in those times that were not recorded
                  for our "history". Let your imagination run wild and I'm sure you
                  could conger up lots of possibilities.

                  "Ugg and Grunt were sitting by the fire heating up their grain moog
                  and saw that it was getting a little warm. They placed the 'now
                  famous' sheep skin over the stone pot and promptly went to sleep.
                  Next morning everything seemed to be gone. Ugg said 'Grap... and then
                  they sucked the last bits of stuff from the fur.. They got drunker
                  than 'pfuiff' and this - forever more - became known as:
                  "Ummm strong moog". Mmmm... get the gathers. me gona make more..

                  lol...
                • BOKAKOB
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 2, 2003
                    Blessed those who believe if you know what that mean.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 2, 2003
                      The Babylonians were brewing beer and it was more widely consumed
                      than wine - so beer and wine would have been known to people in the
                      Old Testament. But the beer was not strong, so it is a question of
                      interpretation and translation. Wine is part of Jewish and Christian
                      rituals, so how can it be sinful?
                      Wal
                      > Blessed those who believe if you know what that mean.
                      >
                      > stillyaakman <stillyaakman@y...> wrote:--- In
                      Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "homedistiller"
                      > <homedistiller@y...> wrote:
                      > > Thanks Wal, for all that info!
                      > >
                      > > Now, I have a question: the Old Testament of the Bible mentions
                      the
                      > > consumption of what is called "strong drink"
                      >
                      > Howdy,
                      > I studied this question wnen I was a youth questioning the
                      teachings
                      > of the church I was raised in. They taught that consuming alcohol
                      was
                      > a sin. My question was, if that is so why did God tell his people
                      > to "buy wine or strong drink or whatever your heart desires".
                      > The answer was that strong drink was beer. And the result of my
                      > studies led me to avoid irrational and illogical religous rules!
                      > Now I figure if God wants me to behave a certain way he will tell
                      me
                      > himself.
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                      >
                      > To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to distillers-
                      unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                      Service.