Simple Pot Still or Reflux

  • maxime belair
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 22, 2003
      Hi all,

      If you distill a wash through a pot still twice it
      will produce 70-85% alcool.

      If this 70-85% alcool is then polished with activated
      carbon for
      a couple of days will it become a good vodka or
      there's gonna left bad flavours?

      What about putting initially some activated carbon in
      the wash during fermentation in addition of the final
      polishing?

      Is activated carbon that much efficient?

      If it makes an as good vodka as a wash distilled up
      to 95% would produce with no bad flavours, then
      I see no need to complicate things by building a
      reflux or fractionating still.

      What do you think about it?

      I truly appreciate,

      Max B.

      Lèche-vitrine ou lèche-écran ?
      magasinage.yahoo.ca
    • Robert Lougee
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 24, 2003
        Hi Max:
        I,m relatively new to this, but I can contribute some.
        1. Dilute your 75-80 % down to at least 50% prior to treating it with
        carbon. Higher concentrations don't polish well. Then dilute the
        polished spirit to drinking strength.
        2. Carbon can be put in with the wash during fermentation. It will
        absorb the congeners as they form. Just ensure you leave it at the
        bottom of the fermentor with the yeast. If that crap gets in your
        still, all the collected nasties get out.
        3. As always, see www.homedistiller.org for a remarkable work on
        the home distillation of alcohol. Covers everything from soup to nuts.
        "If it pours, drink it"
        Robert

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, maxime belair <maxime_belair@y...>