RE: [Distillers] Re: wood chips

  • Pete Sayers
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 10, 2000
      Hi every body Pete from Brewers barn here. I also stock the JD chips, so if
      anybody wants em let me know.

      From: Ted Palmer <tpalmer@...>
      To: Distillers@egroups.com; daza <dskud@...>
      Subject: [Distillers] Re: wood chips
      Date: Saturday, 11 November 2000 07:06

      JD is distilled through a fractionating column and is known as neutral
      spirit. NS is very clean and tasteless so I'm doubtful that there are any
      "congeners" that would cause illness. If you are still worried about using
      carbon that has been used before clean it up with some boiling water for a
      few min. The heat and water remove the volatiles and recharge the carbon to
      be used again. As for getting them in NZ, give your brewshop the phone
      number in my post and let them get it for you.
      Ted Palmer
      tpalmer@...

      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 28 10:42 AM
        I recently accquired some oak chips and i was wondering at what
        temperture to toast them at and for how long. I have looked at the
        chart on home distiller, but I was wondering if anyone had other
        personal experiences

        Dan
      • kandeent
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 28 12:12 PM
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "foutzdj" <foutzdj@y...> wrote:

          > I recently accquired some oak chips and i was wondering at what
          > temperture to toast them at and for how long. I have looked at the
          > chart on home distiller, but I was wondering if anyone had other
          > personal experiences
          >
          > Dan
          Not an answer, just an idea I'm working on....I bought a airline
          1.5 oz. mini booze bottle drank it then filled them with cooked oak
          sticks that have been toasted @ 350 degF for 1 hour. Then I ran a
          propane torch over them to char them. I then poured in 95% and let
          it sit for a test. Ot has been a week. The color is beautiful but it
          tastes nasty. Very woodsy. I think the oak had was too green. My
          plan is to drink many small bottles and play around with it.
          Ed
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 28 12:27 PM
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kandeent" <kandeent@y...> wrote:

            > Not an answer, just an idea I'm working on....I bought a airline
            > 1.5 oz. mini booze bottle drank it then filled them with cooked
            oak
            > sticks that have been toasted @ 350 degF for 1 hour. Then I ran a
            > propane torch over them to char them. I then poured in 95% and let
            > it sit for a test. Ot has been a week. The color is beautiful but
            it
            > tastes nasty. Very woodsy. I think the oak had was too green. My
            > plan is to drink many small bottles and play around with it.
            > Ed

            Nezt time try diluting the 95% down to 55 ~ 60% before steeping the
            oak chips. High alc will leach too much tannin from the wood, green
            or not. It's a solvent, don't forget.

          • harle61274@aol.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 28 2:05 PM
              what I do Is let it sit for 2 weeks before giving it a good taste. What I
              stated doing is putting wood chips in a quart and started putting 1 to 2
              Tablespoons sugar in with it. I think a person can put in to much wood. had one
              batch that I let my son try and he said it tasted like wood I didn't try it for
              another week or two and it tasted great to me . let my son taste it again and
              he couldn't belive it was the same stuff. I found that the patience is good
              when flavoring. I let things set for 2 month minimum when using fruit (black
              berries, black cherries ect).
              harle

            • harle61274@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 28 2:08 PM
                In a message dated 2/28/2005 12:32:48 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                gnikomson2000@... writes:

                Nezt time try diluting the 95% down to 55 ~ 60% before steeping the
                oak chips. High alc will leach too much tannin from the wood, green
                or not. It's a solvent, don't forget.

                ok im going to keep my mouth shut and just read from now on ehheheh makes
                since Slainte.
                harle

              • Ed Long
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 28 3:15 PM
                  Thanks!
                  Ed

                  harle61274@... wrote:
                  what I do Is let it sit for 2 weeks before giving it a good taste. What I
                  stated doing is putting wood chips in a quart and started putting 1 to 2
                  Tablespoons sugar in with it. I think a person can put in to much wood. had one
                  batch that I let my son try and he said it tasted like wood I didn't try it for
                  another week or two and it tasted great to me . let my son taste it again and
                  he couldn't belive it was the same stuff. I found that the patience is good
                  when flavoring. I let things set for 2 month minimum when using fruit (black
                  berries, black cherries ect).
                  harle

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                • stevolate
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 1, 2005
                    > when flavoring. I let things set for 2 month minimum when using
                    fruit (black
                    > berries, black cherries ect).
                    > harle

                    Hi Harley
                    How do you use the Black berries.

                    Thanks

                    Stevo
                  • harle61274@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 1, 2005
                      In a message dated 3/1/2005 12:44:02 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                      stevolate@... writes:

                      > when flavoring. I let things set for 2 month minimum when using
                      fruit (black
                      > berries, black cherries ect).
                      > harle

                      Hi Harley
                      How do you use the Black berries.

                      Thanks

                      Stevo

                      Quart If shine about 1 inch of fresh berry's and 1/4 cup sugar let sit on
                      shelf for 2 month min. It filters what I call the nasty's out and gives it
                      flavor of the fruit just like I do with wood. you can use any fruit well almost,
                      I haven't tried bananas or orange, but it has to be fresh ive tried frozen
                      and dint get the same results. Just tried some lemon it might be ok. Pecans are
                      real good to. Take a fresh peach cut it in half and put it in the jar mmmmm
                      good
                      harle

                    • stevolate
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 2, 2005
                        > Quart If shine about 1 inch of fresh berry's and 1/4 cup sugar let
                        sit on
                        > shelf for 2 month min. It filters what I call the nasty's out and
                        gives it

                        > good
                        > harle

                        Thanks Harle
                        What percentage spirit do you add to berries?
                        I will add sugar and let sit 2 months.

                        Happy Drinking

                        Stevo
                      • harle61274@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 2, 2005
                          In a message dated 3/2/2005 4:07:34 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                          stevolate@... writes:

                          > Quart If shine about 1 inch of fresh berry's and 1/4 cup sugar let
                          sit on
                          > shelf for 2 month min. It filters what I call the nasty's out and
                          gives it

                          > good
                          > harle

                          Thanks Harle
                          What percentage spirit do you add to berries?
                          I will add sugar and let sit 2 months.

                          Happy Drinking

                          Stevo

                          Stevo I was cutting it to 100 to 110 now Ive started cutting it to 95 ,
                          havent got any done at 95 to try yet wanted to see it it made it more palatable.

                        • stevolate
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 2, 2005
                            > Stevo I was cutting it to 100 to 110 now Ive started cutting it to
                            95 ,
                            > havent got any done at 95 to try yet wanted to see it it made it
                            more palatable.

                            Thanks Harle
                            Mine is mixed with 95% abv will see how it goes.
                            Thanks for help

                            Happy drinking

                            Stevo
                          • harle61274@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 2, 2005
                              k good luck let me know how it gose Ive tried caned and froze but found
                              freash is better