Re: wood chips

  • Ted Palmer
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 10, 2000
      JD is distilled through a fractionating column and is known as neutral spirit. NS is very clean and tasteless so I'm doubtful that there are any "congeners" that would cause illness. If you are still worried about using carbon that has been used before clean it up with some boiling water for a few min. The heat and water remove the volatiles and recharge the carbon to be used again. As for getting them in NZ, give your brewshop the phone number in my post and let them get it for you.
      Ted Palmer
      tpalmer@...
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 10, 2000
        Hi all, Gary here from NZ

        If anyone wants JD chips, we stocking them, so send me a message and we'll
        see what we can do for you.

        Regards

        Gary
        gluyas@...

        ----------

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 10, 2000
          Hi every body Pete from Brewers barn here. I also stock the JD chips, so if
          anybody wants em let me know.

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 28, 2005
            I recently accquired some oak chips and i was wondering at what
            temperture to toast them at and for how long. I have looked at the
            chart on home distiller, but I was wondering if anyone had other
            personal experiences

            Dan
          • kandeent
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 28, 2005
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "foutzdj" <foutzdj@y...> wrote:

              > I recently accquired some oak chips and i was wondering at what
              > temperture to toast them at and for how long. I have looked at the
              > chart on home distiller, but I was wondering if anyone had other
              > personal experiences
              >
              > Dan
              Not an answer, just an idea I'm working on....I bought a airline
              1.5 oz. mini booze bottle drank it then filled them with cooked oak
              sticks that have been toasted @ 350 degF for 1 hour. Then I ran a
              propane torch over them to char them. I then poured in 95% and let
              it sit for a test. Ot has been a week. The color is beautiful but it
              tastes nasty. Very woodsy. I think the oak had was too green. My
              plan is to drink many small bottles and play around with it.
              Ed
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 28, 2005
                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kandeent" <kandeent@y...> wrote:

                > Not an answer, just an idea I'm working on....I bought a airline
                > 1.5 oz. mini booze bottle drank it then filled them with cooked
                oak
                > sticks that have been toasted @ 350 degF for 1 hour. Then I ran a
                > propane torch over them to char them. I then poured in 95% and let
                > it sit for a test. Ot has been a week. The color is beautiful but
                it
                > tastes nasty. Very woodsy. I think the oak had was too green. My
                > plan is to drink many small bottles and play around with it.
                > Ed

                Nezt time try diluting the 95% down to 55 ~ 60% before steeping the
                oak chips. High alc will leach too much tannin from the wood, green
                or not. It's a solvent, don't forget.

              • harle61274@aol.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 28, 2005
                  what I do Is let it sit for 2 weeks before giving it a good taste. What I
                  stated doing is putting wood chips in a quart and started putting 1 to 2
                  Tablespoons sugar in with it. I think a person can put in to much wood. had one
                  batch that I let my son try and he said it tasted like wood I didn't try it for
                  another week or two and it tasted great to me . let my son taste it again and
                  he couldn't belive it was the same stuff. I found that the patience is good
                  when flavoring. I let things set for 2 month minimum when using fruit (black
                  berries, black cherries ect).
                  harle

                • harle61274@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 28, 2005
                    In a message dated 2/28/2005 12:32:48 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                    gnikomson2000@... writes:

                    Nezt time try diluting the 95% down to 55 ~ 60% before steeping the
                    oak chips. High alc will leach too much tannin from the wood, green
                    or not. It's a solvent, don't forget.

                    ok im going to keep my mouth shut and just read from now on ehheheh makes
                    since Slainte.
                    harle

                  • Ed Long
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 28, 2005
                      Thanks!
                      Ed

                      harle61274@... wrote:
                      what I do Is let it sit for 2 weeks before giving it a good taste. What I
                      stated doing is putting wood chips in a quart and started putting 1 to 2
                      Tablespoons sugar in with it. I think a person can put in to much wood. had one
                      batch that I let my son try and he said it tasted like wood I didn't try it for
                      another week or two and it tasted great to me . let my son taste it again and
                      he couldn't belive it was the same stuff. I found that the patience is good
                      when flavoring. I let things set for 2 month minimum when using fruit (black
                      berries, black cherries ect).
                      harle

                      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                    • stevolate
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 1, 2005
                        > when flavoring. I let things set for 2 month minimum when using
                        fruit (black
                        > berries, black cherries ect).
                        > harle

                        Hi Harley
                        How do you use the Black berries.

                        Thanks

                        Stevo
                      • harle61274@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 1, 2005
                          In a message dated 3/1/2005 12:44:02 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                          stevolate@... writes:

                          > when flavoring. I let things set for 2 month minimum when using
                          fruit (black
                          > berries, black cherries ect).
                          > harle

                          Hi Harley
                          How do you use the Black berries.

                          Thanks

                          Stevo

                          Quart If shine about 1 inch of fresh berry's and 1/4 cup sugar let sit on
                          shelf for 2 month min. It filters what I call the nasty's out and gives it
                          flavor of the fruit just like I do with wood. you can use any fruit well almost,
                          I haven't tried bananas or orange, but it has to be fresh ive tried frozen
                          and dint get the same results. Just tried some lemon it might be ok. Pecans are
                          real good to. Take a fresh peach cut it in half and put it in the jar mmmmm
                          good
                          harle

                        • stevolate
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 2, 2005
                            > Quart If shine about 1 inch of fresh berry's and 1/4 cup sugar let
                            sit on
                            > shelf for 2 month min. It filters what I call the nasty's out and
                            gives it

                            > good
                            > harle

                            Thanks Harle
                            What percentage spirit do you add to berries?
                            I will add sugar and let sit 2 months.

                            Happy Drinking

                            Stevo
                          • harle61274@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 2, 2005
                              In a message dated 3/2/2005 4:07:34 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                              stevolate@... writes:

                              > Quart If shine about 1 inch of fresh berry's and 1/4 cup sugar let
                              sit on
                              > shelf for 2 month min. It filters what I call the nasty's out and
                              gives it

                              > good
                              > harle

                              Thanks Harle
                              What percentage spirit do you add to berries?
                              I will add sugar and let sit 2 months.

                              Happy Drinking

                              Stevo

                              Stevo I was cutting it to 100 to 110 now Ive started cutting it to 95 ,
                              havent got any done at 95 to try yet wanted to see it it made it more palatable.

                            • stevolate
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 2, 2005
                                > Stevo I was cutting it to 100 to 110 now Ive started cutting it to
                                95 ,
                                > havent got any done at 95 to try yet wanted to see it it made it
                                more palatable.

                                Thanks Harle
                                Mine is mixed with 95% abv will see how it goes.
                                Thanks for help

                                Happy drinking

                                Stevo
                              • harle61274@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 2, 2005
                                  k good luck let me know how it gose Ive tried caned and froze but found
                                  freash is better