Re: [Distillers] Doubler #2

  • Robert Mitchell
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 6, 2000

        Ted Palmer <tpalmer@...> wrote:

      Rob's question:

      6. Since this will be an all grain wash, will the doubler strip out the flavours?

      Ted's reply:

      In a word, No. I know of some people putting charcoal in the doubler to remove cogeners in order to smooth the flavor.

      Rob's further question:

      The idea of putting charcoal in the doubler is interesting. If you put oak charcoal inthe doubler, would this shorten the maturation time and strip out the nasty fusels etc?

      In an erlier post someone mentioned that a doubler worked well as a gin head. Could you put in orange peels and produce some sort of orqnge flavoured liquor?

        Thanks in advance, Rob

      Do You Yahoo!?
      Yahoo! Shopping - Thousands of Stores. Millions of Products. All with one Wallet.

      Do You Yahoo!?
      Yahoo! Shopping - Thousands of Stores. Millions of Products. All with one Wallet.

    • Ted Palmer
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 6, 2000

        Sent: Monday, November 06, 2000 6:40 PM
        Subject: Re: [Distillers] Doubler #2

          Ted Palmer <tpalmer@...> wrote:

        Rob's question:

        6. Since this will be an all grain wash, will the doubler strip out the flavours?

        Ted's reply:

        In a word, No. I know of some people putting charcoal in the doubler to remove cogeners in order to smooth the flavor.

        Rob's further question:

        The idea of putting charcoal in the doubler is interesting. If you put oak charcoal inthe doubler, would this shorten the maturation time and strip out the nasty fusels etc?

        That is the $20,000 question. I can't say if it helps or not, though it does seem that it may have some sort of effect. Try it out with 1/2 of the wash and let us know if you find a difference.

        In an erlier post someone mentioned that a doubler worked well as a gin head. Could you put in orange peels and produce some sort of orqnge flavoured liquor?

        That was me, and the answer is yes. Any herb or dried fruit can be used in the same 1/3 of the volume of the doubler.

        Ted Palmer
        tpalmer@...