Re: [Distillers] Doubler

  • Ted Palmer
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 6, 2000

      Sent: Monday, November 06, 2000 12:32 PM
      Subject: [Distillers] Doubler

      I'm thinking of adding a doubler but I have the following questions:

      1. My boiler is 13 gal powered by a 68,000 btu propane heater. My proposed doubler is a 4 gal pressure cooker. Is the doubler size adequate?

      Yes, this is fine but it should be sized to the amount of tails that you would get from a single run. amount that you would get with wash in the doubler = ((#gallons of wash * %alc of wash) / 3)

      with tails in doubler = ((gallons of wash * %alc of wash + gallons of tails * % alc of tails) / 3)

      2. How full should I fill the doubler? I intend to use wash in the doubler at about 14% ethanol.

      about 1/3, you don't want wash getting into the condenser.

      3. Should I insulate the line leading from the still head to the doubler and/or from the doubler to the condensor?

      not unless it is very cold.

      4. To speed things up, I am thinking about putting an electric hot plate under the doubleruntil it gets to about 80degrees C. Any thoughts on this?

      This will save you about 15 min. and keeps condensation from overflowing your doubler.

      5. Any idea as to what the % ethanol will beafter the doubler?

      Check out kiwi distillers for calculators for this.

      6. Since this will be an all grain wash, will the doubler strip out the flavours?

      In a word, No. I know of some people putting charcoal in the doubler to remove cogeners in order to smooth the flavor.

      I apologize for all these questions but i' trying to get a handle on this whole doubler thing.

      It is also known as a thumper, thump barrel, and redoubler.

        Thanks in advance, Rob

      Your welcome,

      Ted Palmer
      tpalmer@...

      Do You Yahoo!?
      Yahoo! Shopping - Thousands of Stores. Millions of Products. All with one Wallet.