RE: [Distillers] heat control of cooling water

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 5, 2000
      Scott,

      One method is to freeze 2L drink bottles full of water, then put these into your holding tank as needed when it starts heating up.

      Tony
    • Ted Palmer
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 5, 2000
        The only way to reduce the amount of water that you are using is to have the
        most efficient heat exchange system that is possible. For home distillers
        the counter-flow condenser is the cheapest route. Use 3/8" copper tubing
        inside of garden hose, you can find plans for these on many homebrew web
        sites. when you run the condencer let just a trickle of water run through
        it, the bottom coil should be cool to the touch and it should be hot 3 or 4
        coils up, if it is cool all the way up you are pushing wat to much water
        through. A 20' long coil should use produce only 16 to 20 liters of hot
        water in an hour, good for cleaning or making the next batch.
        Ted Palmer
        tpalmer@...