Column height

  • Shane Kirkman
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 2003
      If 1.7m to 2m is the ideal for a 50mm column. What would the ideal height for a 65mm id column.
      Your input would be appreciated Tony.
      I picked up (and then walked briskly away), from a construction site. With a 65mm x 2.6m copper pipe insulated inside a 150mm pvc pipe filled with expansion foam. It was only a off cut so I didn't feel guilty at all, quiet happy actually.

      ---
    • wonkothesanemk1
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2003
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Kirkman"
        <shanekirkman@y...> wrote:
        > If 1.7m to 2m is the ideal for a 50mm column. What would the ideal
        height for a 65mm id column.
        > Your input would be appreciated Tony.
        > I picked up (and then walked briskly away), from a construction
        site. With a 65mm x 2.6m copper pipe insulated inside a 150mm pvc
        pipe filled with expansion foam. It was only a off cut so I didn't
        feel guilty at all, quiet happy actually.

        > I am working on a site where the place is awash with copper pipe
        from 15mm up to around 250mm dia.and every fitting immaginable, but
        can I get any of it away?......torture.
        wonko
        > ---
      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4, 2003
          Actually I just purchased a 1.5 meters section of 65mm copper pipe
          from a scrapyard (17 euros). As I understand it 1 meters of packing
          should be enough if you keep the vapor speed below 20inches/s. That's
          a bit over 2000 Wats of power.

          Greetz, Riku

          <shanekirkman@y...> wrote:
          > If 1.7m to 2m is the ideal for a 50mm column. What would the ideal
          height for a 65mm id column.
          > Your input would be appreciated Tony.
          > I picked up (and then walked briskly away), from a construction
          site. With a 65mm x 2.6m copper pipe insulated inside a 150mm pvc
          pipe filled with expansion foam. It was only a off cut so I didn't
          feel guilty at all, quiet happy actually.

          > ---
        • peter_vcb
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 4, 2003
            it is called the "ideal" height but a taller one will allow you to
            run at a lower RR and hence is more energy and time efficient. any
            bigger than 2m and youll need a ladder, also 50mm copper normally
            comes in 2m lengths. i would keep yours at 2.6m, nice its insulated
            too. if you made an EL head you only have to but some of the foam
            away at the top and saw into the column and it will still be packed
            2m+. nicely acquired :-) "but officer, an old lady was about to trip
            over that pipe, i was merely saving her"

            <shanekirkman@y...> wrote:
            > If 1.7m to 2m is the ideal for a 50mm column. What would the ideal
            height for a 65mm id column.
            > Your input would be appreciated Tony.
            > I picked up (and then walked briskly away), from a construction
            site. With a 65mm x 2.6m copper pipe insulated inside a 150mm pvc
            pipe filled with expansion foam. It was only a off cut so I didn't
            feel guilty at all, quiet happy actually.

            > ---
          • Robert N
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 6, 2003

              Hi Shane, why not make the head for the still detachable, by way of a fitting. Then attach the bottom end of the pipe to the boiler as you would normally do. Leave the pipe the length you end up with (2.5metres?) This way if you decide that the column should be shortened, then you only need to change one fitting. If you solder on you can solder off and back on again. Stick it up beside the staircase, window or somewhere near where you can collect from the living area (highset house). Disguise the boiler or maybe get an old 44 gallon drum and put it around the boiler, would act as a wind break. If it was tall enough you could place the pipe up through the rainwater gutter, and run the cooling water pipes along the gutter.

              Yours in Spirit

              Robert