Re: Gas and Solders

  • beaui42
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2003
      > beaui42 wrote:
      > Subject: [Distillers] Gas and Solders
      >

      > I've just received my 'structured packing and I'm making changes to
      my column and will do my own soldering.
      > Can I get some feed back on the following:

      > For the other joins can I get away with using propane (with the
      largest nossel),as this appears to put out similar BTU's as MAPP gas.

      > Grae
      > ========================
      > Hi Grae,
      >
      > Use silver solder when you want a very strong joint, as you note,
      but you can get away with lead-free soft solder for all other joints.
      > Use your judgement on what strain those joints are likely to be
      subjected to. You might also elect to use silver solder to join
      main parts of a complicated assembly, as then you can do the rest in
      soft solder without worrying that the first joints will melt.
      > Mike N

      Thanks Mike

      So the big 'bazooka' propane nozzle will probably do the trick?

      Grae
    • Mike Nixon
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2003
        beaui42  wrote:
        Subject: [Distillers] Re: Gas and Solders

        So the big 'bazooka' propane nozzle will probably do the trick?
        =====================
        Prolly will, but if it 'resists', try the old trick of putting the workpiece in a small open 'oven' made by placing a couple of dry bricks to make an L shaped corner on top of another brick.  Helps contain the heat.  You need to get copper up to red heat before the silver solder will run and wet properly.  All joints should be a good fit, as silver solder needs that to suck in properly by capillary action.  Ordinary solder joints can be sloppier.  Be careful if using brass as this tends to slump very quickly if the temperature gets only a little bit above that.  Be sure to use a good silver soldering flux.
        Mike N

      • peter_vcb
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2003
          > Also can I use lead free/and or soft solder or will I have to use
          silver solder for a stronger joint?

          if you make an EL column you can get away with weaker solder since it
          doesnt need much structural strength since all the weight is acting
          down the middle, (bottom must be strong). offset stills can have a
          large lever/moment effect at the top so you need strength. just like
          its easier to hold a large bag close to your body rather than with an
          outstretched arm. EL is easier and cheaper to build for most too.