Re: [Distillers] Mike's Boiler

  • Mike Nixon
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2003
      BillyWeeble wrote:
      Subject: [Distillers] Mike's Boiler

          Hiya Mike,  What a beautiful boiler!  So many questions...   I was imagining a Shop-Vac then up popped the picture.  That ain't no regl'er Suzie homemaker setup.  I find good stuff from saw mills, processing plants, metal recycle yards, yard sales... but never have I seen anything like that.  Where in the world (literally) did you find it? Is it insulated when in use?  Have you used
      it with propane flame? Likely it's powered by electricity - does it sit just like that when in operation?  Does "derided" mean someone stopped riding it?

          I like the idea of ease of operation when water heaters are discussed but then my minds eye shows me a still 10 ft (3.333 metres) high.  I suppose one could return the vapor down then back up again, but since my instincts (often aulty) tell me that's wrong. So instead I use a squat boiler and gas heat with the thermometer at almost eyeball level.  Any comment on the vapor path is appreciated.
      ==================
      Hi there Billy,

      Yes, I was lucky to find it.  It's one of the Tellus range that used to be very popular here many years ago ... a semi-industrial vacuum cleaner.  Found it dirt cheap at a second-hand shop and looking lonely.  Never tried it with flame.  It's made of aluminium alloy, so I would probable burn a hole in the bottom.  However, it's perfect for when I want to do small runs.  Wife (a dressmaker) made me a cozy little jacket for it ... but it looks nicer when all 'naked' and shining.  :-)   I really don't know what all the fuss was about with water heaters.  All I was trying to say that some heaters are built differently to others, so don't assume you have covered all aspects of modification if you are not sure, and don't assume that others are heater experts either.  Never too proud to ask advice from a plumber.

      Concerning vapor path, you can certainly run vapor down from the top of one packed column and feed to the bottom of another ... just don't put packing in the connecting tube as both vapor and reflux would be travelling in the same direction in it. 'Spent' reflux in the second column would have to be bled off of course, but that can be returned to the boiler via a simple U-tube vapor lock.  Obviously, both columns and the connecting tube need to be very well heat insulated.

      Cheers,
      Mike N

    • BillyWeeble@cs.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 5, 2003
        In a message dated 7/1/03 11:13:45 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
        mike@... writes:

        << It's made of aluminium alloy, so I would probable burn a hole in the
        bottom. >>

        Yeah, when it's dry....you know better than that.

        << I really don't know what all the fuss was about with water heaters. All
        I was trying to say that some heaters are built differently to others, so
        don't assume you have covered all aspects of modification if you are not sure,
        and don't assume that others are heater experts either. Never too proud to ask
        advice from a plumber. >>

        In this hobby it is always better to be safe than sorry. Did I
        mention sorry? Some folks have to live it before they understand it.

        Thanks for the vapor "management" insight. For me it's all a
        double blind experiment.

        And thanks for all the assistance - which shoulder is feeling the weight?
        I smile at you. (should I insert a smiley face after saying this or before?
        ohh nevermind....).

        Touche