Cellulose conversion

  • DAVID REID
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2000
      John, Eric etc,
                           I certainly agree with you John. We need more discussion and input from others on this subject. There is a lot of information and disinformation out there some of it due to reader misconception particularly when talking about acid hydrolysis. One needs to understand wether the paper is talking about cellulose in general in a wider context including all of its components or specifically lignocellulose. Glucose and xylose are the major fermentable substrates present in lognocellulose biomass. Keith has done a good job of putting quite a lot of Urls in the reports. Likewise Steve.
      Cellulose is still hard to break down efficiently and cheaply largely because of the lignin content but hemi-cellulose is becoming easier. There are now yeasts that can ferment the xylose portion of hemi-cellulose and increase the ethanol output by at least 30%.
      SSF (Simultaneous Saccharification and Fermentation) is the way of the future and when properly combined with enzymatic hydrolysis and processes that use or can get round the lignin factor are and will be the way of the future with increased efficiency. Over the next few years expect to see improvements to all these making the process more and more efficient. In the meantime keep reading, researching, and doing your bit and it will come on line faster. There have already been enough wars in my lifetime over control of energy resources. All in the meantime.
      B.r.,  David
    • DAVID REID
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2000
        Eric, John etc,
                             If you want to learn more about cellulose conversion go to the following site below and read the Wood Ethanol Report: Process Overview (17 pages)  which covers broad aspects of thje various processes for the main players for the propsed BC IC Ethanol Project. This will give you some understanding of the commercial processes already developed.
        B.r.,  David