Vicious Fizz (was Re: whimsical humor and a high ph)

  • peter_vcb
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2003
      "Greetings Peter, Thanks for the response - I appreciate that. Now
      does the mix quoted above come in a handy name brand ready to
      purchase package off the market shelf, is it something one makes in
      their laboratory or what?".

      hi Billy
      naoh/sodium hydroxide/lye or caustic soda are all the same thing. its
      a strong base used for cleaning drains etc. it is dangerous to handle
      and can cause severe chemical burns (have you seen fight club).
      i wouldnt try it out yet, leave it to some other mug (me).i'll tell
      you the results in a month i hope, both Mike Nixon and Mike McCaw
      have told me it may end up unpalatable due to volatile salts and
      other nasties being formed, but its worth a try.
      im also irish and i spotted that murphy fella sniffing at my bottles
      with a smug grin!

      a chara

      Peter
    • BillyWeeble@cs.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 5, 2003
        In a message dated 7/1/03 10:01:52 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
        viciousblackout@... writes:

        << naoh/sodium hydroxide/lye or caustic soda are all the same thing. its
        a strong base used for cleaning drains etc. it is dangerous to handle
        and can cause severe chemical burns >>

        OH JEEZ.... Peter, we're talkin DRAIN-O here! This is the best stuff
        for booze I've never heard of! As Peter Laurie said in the monster movies, "You
        make me laugh, a-heh a-heh". We must indeed be mad scientists! Well at
        least you have a good time checking out all the angles.....leave no stone
        unturned. I laugh NOT at your unrelenting desire to further the knowledge of
        distilling techniques, but rather at my own take on the surprising applications that
        can ultimately turn the head of an otherwise "knowledgeable" (read:
        complacent) distiller upsideways. And That's exactly what I want to learn. Yes, I
        laugh at myself also in that respect. Please follow thru and share with us your
        results - good and bad. All knowledge is good knowledge. Thanks for being
        with us.........bw........
      • mwmccaw
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 5, 2003
          Sodium hydroxide (lye) is NOT drano (at least not the drano solid
          sold in the can with the red lid). Drano DOES contain sodium
          hydroxide, but also strips of aluminum, which react violently with
          the lye when wet.
          The liquid formulas are basically sodium hydroxide, but since it is
          intended for drain cleaning, I don't know how pure it might be.
          You can usually buy pure lye in pellets at a hardware store.

          For the purpose of converting ethyl acetate, though, it would be
          much safer to use sodium carbonate or bicarbonate and simply let
          things take a bit longer.
          Mike McCaw