Vapour Management Head

  • mr_ethanol2003
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 1, 2003
      Hi,

      Can anyone please explain the working principle of a vapour
      management still head. What are its advantages/disadvantages over
      the nixon-stone type?

      I've seen pictures of this type of head on www.homedistiller.org but
      have yet to find a description of how they work.

      Thanks folks,

      Andy.
    • Mike Nixon
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 1, 2003
        From: mr_ethanol2003
        Subject: [Distillers] Vapour Management Head

        Hi,

        Can anyone please explain the working principle of a vapour management still head. What are its advantages/disadvantages over the nixon-stone type?

        I've seen pictures of this type of head on www.homedistiller.org but have yet to find a description of how they work.

        Thanks folks,
        Andy.
        =======================
        Hi Andy,
        It is getting late here in the Antipodes, but I will post a reply to your query tomorrow morning.
        Mike Nixon

      • mr_ethanol2003
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 2, 2003
          > From: mr_ethanol2003
          > Subject: [Distillers] Vapour Management Head
          >
          > Hi,
          >
          > Can anyone please explain the working principle of a vapour
          management still head. What are its advantages/disadvantages over
          the nixon-stone type?

          > I've seen pictures of this type of head on www.homedistiller.org
          but have yet to find a description of how they work.

          > Thanks folks,
          > Andy.
          > =======================
          > Hi Andy,
          > It is getting late here in the Antipodes, but I will post a reply
          to your query tomorrow morning.
          > Mike Nixon

          Thanks Mike,

          I look forward to it.

          Andy.
        • Mike Nixon
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 2, 2003
            mr_ethanol2003 wrote:

            Can anyone please explain the working principle of a vapour management still head. What are its advantages/disadvantages over
            the nixon-stone type?

            I've seen pictures of this type of head on www.homedistiller.org but have yet to find a description of how they work.
            =====================
            Hokay Andy, here we go.  I'll try and make it as short as possible.

            If you feed vapour to the middle point of a horizontal tube, then it will split into two streams.
            If the cross-sectional area of one arm of the tube is A and the other is B, then the vapour will divide in that ratio, A/B.
            You can control that cross-sectional area by means of gate valves, and this is useful for some applications.

            If you feed vapour into the middle point of a vertical tube, density now becomes a factor and this can be used to control the behaviour of a distilling column depending on the composition of the vapour inside.
            First thing to note is that vapour rises in a distillation column not because if convection, as some think, but because it is pushed by vapour generated in the boiler.  All vapour in a distillation column therefore rises at the same rate no matter what its density, and at a rate determined by the power pumped into the boiler.
            When vapour meets the middle point of the vertical tube, some will be driven further up the column and some will enter the tube.  In practise, this middle feed point is sealed off by a gate valve in a side arm during stabilisation of the column, and the vertical tube comprises the path up to the top condenser and the path down to the product condenser.  It is a 'kinked' vertical tube fed with vapor at its middle point.  When the gate valve is opened, vapour enters the side arm and, if it is less dense than air, will try to rise.  If it is denser than air then it falls.  It cannot rise in the side arm as that arm only goes down, but can fall as it points down to the product condenser and collecting vessel.  The gate valve controls amount that can enter the side arm.
            The relative densities of steam at 100C, air at room temperature, and ethanol vapor at 78C are 0.6/1.0/1.6
            If the vapour in the column is ethanol, then it will fall down through the product arm, and if it is steam then it will continue up to the top condenser.  The changeover point, when the vapor in the column is the same density as air, if when the vapour comprises 45.5% ethanol and 54.5% steam.  The volume of vapour falling down through the side arm therefore tails off and finally stops as the vapour mix in the column approaches and then reaches this point.  As this represents the onset of tails, the side arm being at the top of the column, a vapour management still automatically stops delivering product before it is contaminated with a significant amount of tails.  It is also the reason why you cannot test the operation of such a still using steam alone.  Subsequent collection of tails can be done by turning off the top condenser, blocking that path with a rag in the top vent, and fully opening the gate valve.  A rag is recommended for blocking the top vent as a gate valve would present the possibility that both gate valves could be closed together, sealing the whole still.

            Sorry if that still seems long winded.  I would seriously welcome any summary that manages to cover everything more concisely.

            Mike N

          • mr_ethanol2003
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 2, 2003
              Wow, thanks for such a detailed answer Mike :)

              I think I'll have to read it a few times before I understand it
              though...

              Best regards,

              Andy.

            • Mike Nixon
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 2, 2003
                mr_ethanol2003 wrote:
                Subject: [Distillers] Re: Vapour Management Head

                Wow, thanks for such a detailed answer Mike :)

                I think I'll have to read it a few times before I understand it though...
                ========================
                Me too!    :-)

                Mike N

              • abbababbaccc
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 2, 2003
                  So this basically means that VM head closes at 94C vapor temp? I
                  looked this figure from a graph at Tony's site. How about methanol,
                  propanol and butanol? Are they heavier than air as well and if so
                  what are their changeover points?

                  Greetz, Riku

                  > If the vapour in the column is ethanol, then it will fall down
                  through the product arm, and if it is steam then it will continue up
                  to the top condenser. The changeover point, when the vapor in the
                  column is the same density as air, if when the vapour comprises 45.5%
                  ethanol and 54.5% steam. The volume of vapour falling down through
                  the side arm therefore tails off and finally stops as the vapour mix
                  in the column approaches and then reaches this point. As this
                  represents the onset of tails, the side arm being at the top of the
                  column, a vapour management still automatically stops delivering
                  product before it is contaminated with a significant amount of
                  tails. >
                  > Mike N
                • BOKAKOB
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 2, 2003
                    Thanks from me, MIke, too... I have a question if you dont mind educating me and many more of us here. If I understood correctly it is crucial to where exactly this horizontal appendix is located, its size and slope as well. Is this correct?
                    And the second question, is this scheme works the same way with foreshots or the density of foreshot vapors is different?

                    I can be wrong I must say
                    Cheers, Alex...

                    Do you Yahoo!?
                  • BOKAKOB
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 2, 2003
                      When I very slowly distill, the temperature is never above 80~80.5C however I do get the full blast of tails if I am not careful.

                      In practice I worked out a rule to separate my 19L@14% batch in three stages:
                      Heads_30%(20%-80%) + Collection_40%+Tails_30% of the theoretical amount of alcohol in it. The first 20% of heads get tossed out (about 180mL), the remaining 85% heads and 30% of tails get re-distilled with the next 1st distillation batch.

                      How to explain that?

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 2, 2003
                        abbababbaccc

                        So this basically means that VM head closes at 94C vapor temp? I looked this figure from a graph at Tony's site. How about methanol, propanol and butanol? Are they heavier than air as well and if so what are their changeover points?

                        Greetz, Riku
                        ===========================
                        Hi Riku,

                        Methanol vapor is 1.1 times as dense as air, and the generally accepted values for propanol and butanol are 2.1 and 2.5 respectively (depends which isomer you are talking about).  However, as far as we are concerned, those last two can be ignored as they both have boiling points higher than ethanol and so will only get near the top if there is very little ethanol in the column.  In contrast, methanol with a BP of 65C would get there before ethanol (BP 78.3C) and, being slightly denser than air, would be extracted via the downward-going collection path as part of the heads.  As the density difference is slight, it pays to take this stage slowly. The other likely heads component is ethyl acetate (BP 77C) which would also take the downward collection path as its relative density is 3.0

                        The 'changover' points (assuming you are referring to the 45.5% I mentioned in respect of ethanol) are really irrelevant. The heads will be extracted before the bulk of the ethanol comes along, so it will be 100% for them, then you will have a mix of just steam and ethanol vapor at the top during the main run.  The relative density of this falls to 1.0 when the mix is 45.5% ethanol and so output falls to zero down the collection path at that stage.  This mix then 'sits' there in dynamic equilibrium and prevents the higher BP components from rising up the column.  For academic interest, if you had a mix of just water and propanol in the boiler, then the VM system would merrily collect propanol until its percentage in the vapor mix fell to 37%, and if you did the same with butanol then it would run until the mix fell to 32.3%

                        Mike N

                      • Mike Nixon
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 2, 2003
                          BOKAKOB wrote:
                          Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: Vapour Management Head

                          Thanks from me, MIke, too... I have a question if you dont mind educating me and many more of us here. If I understood correctly it is crucial to where exactly this horizontal appendix is located, its size and slope as well. Is this correct?
                          And the second question, is this scheme works the same way with foreshots or the density of foreshot vapors is different?
                          =======================
                          Hi Alex,

                          The location should be as near the top of the column as possible simply because that is where the greatest separation is to be found, and that is what we want to collect.  The size and shape don't matter very much if you are feeding a vertical path down to the collector, so long as it's not ridiculously small like a pinhole :-)  The role of the gate valve in this case will be to control the aperture and rate of collection.  Size does matter with the horizontal configuration as this is the only thing controlling flow ... and this is what misled me when I did the first experiments as my rig was set up in that way.  In that case, the flow in each horizontal direction depends on the relative sizes of the apertures and I took that to be the only factor that mattered as I hadn't considered the vertical path case ... sighhhh.  The slope of the collection path is also not critical, so long as it is going down.  Obviously, vertical is most efficient.  Incidentally, ignore any short horizontal section (the take-off point) in the vertical case as this makes no difference whatsoever.

                          Foreshots behave exactly the same way as heads.  However, take it slowly to ensure they come off cleanly.  I noted in a post to Riku this morning that methanol vapor is only a bit denser than air, so it needs to be 'persuaded'.  No different to what you would do with LM really, but for slightly different reasons.

                          Cheers!
                          Mike N

                        • abbababbaccc
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 2, 2003
                            Thanks Mike, this is good to know.

                            Greetz, Riku

                            > abbababbaccc
                            > Subject: [Distillers] Re: Vapour Management Head
                            >
                            > So this basically means that VM head closes at 94C vapor temp? I
                            looked this figure from a graph at Tony's site. How about methanol,
                            propanol and butanol? Are they heavier than air as well and if so
                            what are their changeover points?

                            > Greetz, Riku
                            > ===========================
                            > Hi Riku,
                            >
                            > Methanol vapor is 1.1 times as dense as air, and the generally
                            accepted values for propanol and butanol are 2.1 and 2.5 respectively
                            (depends which isomer you are talking about). However, as far as we
                            are concerned, those last two can be ignored as they both have
                            boiling points higher than ethanol and so will only get near the top
                            if there is very little ethanol in the column. In contrast, methanol
                            with a BP of 65C would get there before ethanol (BP 78.3C) and, being
                            slightly denser than air, would be extracted via the downward-going
                            collection path as part of the heads. As the density difference is
                            slight, it pays to take this stage slowly. The other likely heads
                            component is ethyl acetate (BP 77C) which would also take the
                            downward collection path as its relative density is 3.0

                            > The 'changover' points (assuming you are referring to the 45.5% I
                            mentioned in respect of ethanol) are really irrelevant. The heads
                            will be extracted before the bulk of the ethanol comes along, so it
                            will be 100% for them, then you will have a mix of just steam and
                            ethanol vapor at the top during the main run. The relative density
                            of this falls to 1.0 when the mix is 45.5% ethanol and so output
                            falls to zero down the collection path at that stage. This mix
                            then 'sits' there in dynamic equilibrium and prevents the higher BP
                            components from rising up the column. For academic interest, if you
                            had a mix of just water and propanol in the boiler, then the VM
                            system would merrily collect propanol until its percentage in the
                            vapor mix fell to 37%, and if you did the same with butanol then it
                            would run until the mix fell to 32.3%

                            > Mike N
                          • abbababbaccc
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 4, 2003
                              Thinking about this a bit more. Is following assumption correct? When
                              vapor is condensed in the vertical liebig it creates low pressure
                              area which draws more vapor from the horizontal part and column. The
                              thing that control vapor flow is the gate valve, which acts as
                              throttle blades on carburetor. So basically the relational areas of
                              column and takeoff pipe (vertical) do not have much effect as the
                              vapor velocity through the horizontal pipe could be much greater than
                              vaporspeed in the column.

                              Mike, if I'm wrong please correct me. I plan on building a 2.5 inch
                              column which has 1 inch pipe to the gate valve and VM condenser (much
                              smaller area than column). I'd like to be able to run it with low
                              reflux levels as well. If the assumption above is correct it should
                              work that way.

                              Greetz, Riku

                              > BOKAKOB wrote:
                              > Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: Vapour Management Head
                              >
                              > Thanks from me, MIke, too... I have a question if you dont mind
                              educating me and many more of us here. If I understood correctly it
                              is crucial to where exactly this horizontal appendix is located, its
                              size and slope as well. Is this correct?
                              > And the second question, is this scheme works the same way with
                              foreshots or the density of foreshot vapors is different?
                              > =======================
                              > Hi Alex,
                              >
                              > The location should be as near the top of the column as possible
                              simply because that is where the greatest separation is to be found,
                              and that is what we want to collect. The size and shape don't matter
                              very much if you are feeding a vertical path down to the collector,
                              so long as it's not ridiculously small like a pinhole :-) The role
                              of the gate valve in this case will be to control the aperture and
                              rate of collection. Size does matter with the horizontal
                              configuration as this is the only thing controlling flow ... and this
                              is what misled me when I did the first experiments as my rig was set
                              up in that way. In that case, the flow in each horizontal direction
                              depends on the relative sizes of the apertures and I took that to be
                              the only factor that mattered as I hadn't considered the vertical
                              path case ... sighhhh. The slope of the collection path is also not
                              critical, so long as it is going down. Obviously, vertical is most
                              efficient. Incidentally, ignore any short horizontal section (the
                              take-off point) in the vertical case as this makes no difference
                              whatsoever.

                              > Foreshots behave exactly the same way as heads. However, take it
                              slowly to ensure they come off cleanly. I noted in a post to Riku
                              this morning that methanol vapor is only a bit denser than air, so it
                              needs to be 'persuaded'. No different to what you would do with LM
                              really, but for slightly different reasons.

                              > Cheers!
                              > Mike N
                            • Mike Nixon
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 4, 2003
                                abbababbaccc wrote:

[...]

                                Not quite correct I'm afraid.  When a vapor condenses then it certainly occupies less volume, and in a closed container this would result in lower overall pressure.  However, when the vapor condenses in a tube that is open to the air, then the localised lowering of pressure is almost immediately compensated for by both air and uncondensed vapor entering the tube from either end to take its place.  Exactly how much of each will depend on the local dynamics of the sytem, but it certainly won't lean heavily on either one option or the other.  The flow of vapor into the side collection arm is not driven forcibly like air in a carburettor, but is simply the flow you would expect from the difference in density inside the tube system (from top condenser down through the side arm/gate valve to the outlet of the collection arm) compared with the density of the surrounding air.  This will be very slow compared to the speed at which vapor is moving up the column as that vapor is being pushed by new vapor generated all the time in the boiler. To give some idea of the speeds,  vapor in a 2.5 inch diameter column fed by a 1500W boiler will be moving at just over 14 inches/sec (0.8 mph puts that in better perspective ... it's a long way from the air speed in a carburettor).  I've no idea what the speed of the vapor will be when it moves into the side arm under the influence of its greater density than air ... that depends on all sorts of factors, the opening in the gate valve being one ... but it will be like a tortoise compared with the hare of the vapor in the column.  Certainly not faster as you suggest.

                                However, bottom line is that your system should work just fine   and that is all that really matters :-)
                                If you lower the reflux ratio too much by opening the gate valve too enthusiastically, you will know soon enough when the quality begins to suffer.  So go to that point ... then back off a bit by closing the gate valve a tad.

                                All the best,
                                Mike N

                              • beaui42
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 5, 2003
                                  Mike
                                  thank for explanation on the VM head physics.

                                  My understanding is that a LM seperation is based (very basically),
                                  on temperature.
                                  VM contrasts in that seperation relies on both temperature and vapour
                                  density.

                                  With the VM head there is a marked difference in that the densities
                                  of ethanol to aethyl-acetate ... 1.6/3.0. Does this density
                                  difference make their seperation more evident with VM or does the
                                  boiling point spoil this for us ?

                                  Grae
                                • Mike Nixon
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 5, 2003
                                    beaui42 wrote:

                                    Mike
                                    thank for explanation on the VM head physics.

                                    My understanding is that a LM seperation is based (very basically), on temperature.
                                    VM contrasts in that seperation relies on both temperature and vapour density.

                                    With the VM head there is a marked difference in that the densities of ethanol to aethyl-acetate ... 1.6/3.0. Does this density
                                    difference make their seperation more evident with VM or does the boiling point spoil this for us ?

                                    Grae
                                    ====================
                                    Gudday Grae,

                                    Not quite ... both depend on how many cycles of condensation/re-evaporation you get before withdrawing product (I'm talking separation of components now, so may have misread your intent when you use the term 'separation'), the only difference being whether you take liquid that has condensed on the top condenser or tap the vapor stream at the top of the column.  With both LM and VM the temperature at the top of the column will be the same, reflecting the mix you end up with.

                                    I'm afraid that the marked difference in density between ethanol and ethyl acetate doesn't make EA markedly more evident with VM as they both have similar boiling points (1.3C difference).  It is this that matters most in separating EA from eth in the first place, whether you are using LM or VM, and the closeness of the boiling points means you have to go slowly when drawing off heads using either method.

                                    Ceers!
                                    Mike N

                                  • beaui42
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jul 6, 2003
                                      > beaui42 wrote:
                                      > Subject: [Distillers] Vapour Management Head
                                      >
                                      > Mike
                                      > >
                                      > With the VM head there is a marked difference in that the densities
                                      of ethanol to aethyl-acetate ... 1.6/3.0. Does this density
                                      > difference make their seperation more evident with VM or does the
                                      boiling point spoil this for us ?

                                      > Grae
                                      > ====================
                                      > Gudday Grae,
                                      >
                                      > Not quite ... both depend on how many cycles of condensation/re-
                                      evaporation you get before withdrawing product (I'm talking
                                      separation of components now, so may have misread your intent when
                                      you use the term 'separation'), the only difference being whether you
                                      take liquid that has condensed on the top condenser or tap the vapor
                                      stream at the top of the column. With both LM and VM the temperature
                                      at the top of the column will be the same, reflecting the mix you end
                                      up with.

                                      > I'm afraid that the marked difference in density between ethanol
                                      and ethyl acetate doesn't make EA markedly more evident with VM as
                                      they both have similar boiling points (1.3C difference). It is this
                                      that matters most in separating EA from eth in the first place,
                                      whether you are using LM or VM, and the closeness of the boiling
                                      points means you have to go slowly when drawing off heads using
                                      either method.

                                      > Ceers!
                                      > Mike N

                                      Thanks Mike.