Vicious Fizz (was Re: whimsical humor and a high ph)

  • BillyWeeble@cs.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2003
      In a message dated 6/30/03 4:48:23 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
      viciousblackout@... writes:

      << i added about 3 teaspoons of naoh/sodium hydroxide/lye to about 3 litres
      of heads >>

      Greetings Peter, Thanks for the response - I appreciate that. Now does
      the mix quoted above come in a handy name brand ready to purchase package off
      the market shelf, is it something one makes in their laboratory or what? I
      will never give up experimenting, I just don't like to make the same mistake
      twice (or more). This one you're working on sounds interesting.

      << i also added 3tsps of baking soda, after 1 day it has turned a dark brown
      colour like a dark ale and the smell is almost gone. i will have to
      neutralise it or boil it in the glass jar it is in as the lye will attack my s/s
      boiler. >>

      I was able to redistill my Schwitzers Solution by adding a buttload of
      citric acid (or comparable) to it and lower the ph to around 3. (Wasn't the
      same and is used as label remover, etc.). A friend has lent me a digital ph
      meter that is another #1 tool in the toolbox. That thing is used daily.

      << i have considered adding a small amount... (of baking soda? (B.W.))...
      to drinking vodka, worth trying with a shot or 2, may stop heartburn! >>

      Aaaah yes, preventive medicine! Might be the next hangover prevention
      method. Then add a couple drops of citric acid and you have a vodka fizz! OK
      all you junior mad scientists, get to work and send in the results!
    • Harley Daschund
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 30, 2003
        FWIT,people have died from ingesting baking soda.....but then,we all have to
        go some way...:>)

        ><< i have considered adding a small amount... (of baking soda? (B.W.))...
        >to drinking vodka, worth trying with a shot or 2, may stop heartburn! >>

      • peter_vcb
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2003
          "Greetings Peter, Thanks for the response - I appreciate that. Now
          does the mix quoted above come in a handy name brand ready to
          purchase package off the market shelf, is it something one makes in
          their laboratory or what?".

          hi Billy
          naoh/sodium hydroxide/lye or caustic soda are all the same thing. its
          a strong base used for cleaning drains etc. it is dangerous to handle
          and can cause severe chemical burns (have you seen fight club).
          i wouldnt try it out yet, leave it to some other mug (me).i'll tell
          you the results in a month i hope, both Mike Nixon and Mike McCaw
          have told me it may end up unpalatable due to volatile salts and
          other nasties being formed, but its worth a try.
          im also irish and i spotted that murphy fella sniffing at my bottles
          with a smug grin!

          a chara

          Peter
        • BillyWeeble@cs.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 5, 2003
            In a message dated 7/1/03 10:01:52 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
            viciousblackout@... writes:

            << naoh/sodium hydroxide/lye or caustic soda are all the same thing. its
            a strong base used for cleaning drains etc. it is dangerous to handle
            and can cause severe chemical burns >>

            OH JEEZ.... Peter, we're talkin DRAIN-O here! This is the best stuff
            for booze I've never heard of! As Peter Laurie said in the monster movies, "You
            make me laugh, a-heh a-heh". We must indeed be mad scientists! Well at
            least you have a good time checking out all the angles.....leave no stone
            unturned. I laugh NOT at your unrelenting desire to further the knowledge of
            distilling techniques, but rather at my own take on the surprising applications that
            can ultimately turn the head of an otherwise "knowledgeable" (read:
            complacent) distiller upsideways. And That's exactly what I want to learn. Yes, I
            laugh at myself also in that respect. Please follow thru and share with us your
            results - good and bad. All knowledge is good knowledge. Thanks for being
            with us.........bw........
          • mwmccaw
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 5, 2003
              Sodium hydroxide (lye) is NOT drano (at least not the drano solid
              sold in the can with the red lid). Drano DOES contain sodium
              hydroxide, but also strips of aluminum, which react violently with
              the lye when wet.
              The liquid formulas are basically sodium hydroxide, but since it is
              intended for drain cleaning, I don't know how pure it might be.
              You can usually buy pure lye in pellets at a hardware store.

              For the purpose of converting ethyl acetate, though, it would be
              much safer to use sodium carbonate or bicarbonate and simply let
              things take a bit longer.
              Mike McCaw