Re: [Distillers] Re: Cocuy and Cervezas

  • Hector A. Landaeta C.
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2003
      Re: [Distillers] Re: Cocuy and Cervezas On 19/6/03 12:52 AM, "waljaco" <waljaco@...> wrote:

      Hector Landaeta hails from 'Colonia Tovar' in Venezuela where German
      colonists established a beer (cerveza) brewing tradition. See:
      http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/8588/Ingles.htm

      Hola Walter!
      Seems unfair of the guys of that web page you posted not to list my brewery and my competitor’s (both in the Colonia Tovar) as part of Venezuela’s brewing industry.
      Yep, I’m very proud of being the second brewer established here (the first was a grand-grand parent of my wife’s who’s from German ascent), but I’m Venezuela’s first micro-brewer.

      On 22/6/03 10:44 PM, "waljaco" <waljaco@...> wrote:

      Came across a reference to a Venezuelan liquor called 'cocuy
      pecayero' similar to Mexican tequila but produced from the 'Agave
      cocui' in the north west of the country. I do not know if it is
      available commercially.

      Cocuy is widely distributed here (though I doubt it’s exported) and it does strongly remember tequila’s taste.  I have an older friend that lived in Mexico some time ago and he says that Cocuy was much better spirit than was tequila before it undertook it’s relatively recent “renaissance”.  Now tequila is brewed with as much sophistication (and technology) as rum or vodka, even aged in oak (in some varieties).
      Cocuy, however, is still regarded locally as a “peasant’s” drink.  I like it and always have a bottle around.
      I’ve been to the “fabricas” of Cocuy and it’s made in an almost identical process to traditional tequila, in an area of Venezuela that’s almost identical in climate to the Mexican agave regions.  I understand there is a similarly brewed and named spirit in Colombia also.  Aztecs didn’t invent tequila, that’s for sure, they just named it differently.
      Salud amigos.
      --
      Hector Landaeta.
      Colonia Tovar - Venezuela.