Re: [Distillers] Spiced rum

  • Hector A. Landaeta C.
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2003
      Re: [Distillers] Spiced rum On 23/6/03 1:35 PM, "jerry pace" <trailsendag@...> wrote:

      ...If any one has been down this road Help is needed...I would like to make more of the product If I had a good recipe many heads are better than mine. Thank you

      Hola Jerry.
      I’ve been trying some things in this path and what worked for me most is adapting a recipe for Islay Whisky Tony Ackland posted some time ago.  The taste of any alcohol is always affected by the raw materials you use to brew it, regardless of the purity to which you distill it.  I’ve said this before but seems it’s necessary to repeat some things often till they sink in:  it is essential to reproducing the rum taste profile to use molasses as your main wash ingredient.  I’ve come to the notion that not all sugar refineries are the same, technologically speaking.  Here in Venezuela I’ve found that old and small sugar factories (usually technologically backward) produce better molasses for distilling purposes simply because there’s more sugar in them.  Perhaps there’s an artisan sugar factory near your home, or you can get sugar cane molasses from one such industry.  It’s worth to find out.  I haven’t tried this myself because we have a cheaper alternative hereabouts that’s called “papelon” or “panela” that’s simply boiled sugar cane juice to the point of crystallization that’s then emptied and cooled into conical or box like molds (Venezuelan moonshiners use it almost exclusively as their wash sugar material), but you can try and make an all brown sugar wash.  Try to make it from the darkest sugar available to you and if you can find it in naturist stores (and it’s cost-effective for you) add some sugar cane molasses also to this wash.  Yeast love molasses.  They find every nutrient they need there, so when using molasses don’t add any yeast energizers or such.  Brown sugar is mostly fructose (Typically more than 60-70%) and sugar cane impurities, so it will be more easily fermented by yeast than white sugar (mostly sucrose, a more complex molecule, not directly fermentable by yeasts).  Industrially, rum is distilled as vodka, to it’s azeotropic max (96%), but when diluted to 40% you can taste the difference from a corn or malt alcohol, for instance.  Then it is aged in ex-bourbon oak (sometimes ex-brandy) barrels for no less than 2 years and in each barrel they put secret quantities of cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg and they add a very small quantity of a “mother rum” that’s typically aged as long as the first batch made at that distillery (local Santa Teresa’s is more than 200 years old).  I’ve tried this stuff and it’s heavily scented (specially with vanilla tones) and very smooth.  I’ve found that using vanillin (I buy mine in the drug store), which is a powdered substance that artificially evokes vanilla’s smell and taste, and some natural vanilla extract helps reproduce the subtle tones any rum must have.  For oaking try to find some ex-bourbon (American white oak) barrel pieces or sawdust and make an extract from the alcohol you’ll make diluted to 60-70% in water.  Also try adding a tiny bit of raisin extract (soak some raisins in 90% alcohol) because this tastes like brandy and higher end rums have some brandy tones owing to the French oak barrels.  Hope this helps.
      Salud colegas!
      --
      Hector Landaeta.
      Colonia Tovar - Venezuela.