Re: [Distillers] Re: boiler insulation

  • BOKAKOB
    Message 1 of 36 , Jun 30, 2003
      Disagree because my boiler was just $9.00 It consists of 20 Quarts stainless steel stock pot. The top is inverted 13" diameter stainless steel salad bowl for $6.99 The office clips holding it all together are free because they are from the office. The total is $16.00 The energy is free because natural gas is included in maintenance of my condo.

      rodmacd2000 <rmacdoug@...> wrote:
      For heaven's sake why don't you all just do the *simple* thing: i.e.
      use a hot water heater as your boiler! If I may quote John Stone once
      again (this time from his book "The Carriage Still".

      ====================================

      When it comes to amateur distilling there seems to be a burning
      desire on the part of the handyman to improvise a boiler out of some
      odd vessel which happens to be available, and no- one should be
      surprised to learn that everything from pressure cookers to beer kegs
      to milk churns to vacuum cleaner tanks have been adapted by ingenious
      do-it-yourself types for this purpose. However, we strongly recommend
      that you save yourselves a lot of time, trouble and expense by using
      an ordinary domestic hot water heater.  In N. America these are
      available in all sizes from 9 litres up to several hundred litres,
      and are ideally suited for acting as the boiler in all amateur
      distillation systems.  They are rugged, glass lined, already have an
      immersion heater installed, they are insulated, they have pipe
      fittings in all the right places, and are housed in attractive white-
      enamel steel housings.  What more could you wish for?  If you had
      drawn up the specifications yourself for the ideal boiler required
      for a still it would not be very different from a hot water heater.
      In N. America they cost around $140 in all sizes up to 100 litres.

      I can be wrong I must say
      Cheers, Alex...

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • rodmacd2000
      Message 36 of 36 , Jan 5, 2005
        Don't forget to insulate your column while you're at it!

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "hermit720022002"