Re: [Distillers] Inverting sugar

  • DAVID REID
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2000
      Pete, Tony etc,
      Recently used this process myself to start a batch
      after breeding up my starter yeast and was amazed how quick it is and how it
      accelerates the fermentation process. Fermentation trap was bubbling away
      merrily ten minutes after closing and locking the lid. Cant comment
      regarding quality as fermentation is ongoing and havnt distilled the
      finished wash yet.
      B.r., David

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2000
        On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 05:30:25PM +1300, Tony & Elle Ackland wrote:
        > A while back, UPS wrote about INVERTING sugar, to make it easier for the
        > yeast to convert it. I saved his comments at
        > http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/sugar.htm#invert . I've also
        > heard about doing this simply by simmering the sugar & water for 5 minutes.

        from this link:
        http://freespace.virgin.net/roger.simmonds/text1.htm

        <<<
        INVERT SUGAR
        This is for the serious enthusiast. When cane sugar is used, the acid
        environment of the fruit juice allows an enzyme in the yeast called sucrase
        (or invertase) to convert the sucrose into the simpler sugars glucose
        (dextrose) and laevulose (fructose) which are then fermented. Although this
        process takes place almost straight away, it can be argued that it is
        better to use sugar that is already inverted. In practise this gives a more
        even fermentation and thus an arguably better quality finished wine. The
        amateur, however, need not worry about this as the difference is likely to
        be negligible. Invert sugar is available to buy, though more costly than
        the household variety. On the other hand it is possible to invert some
        household sugar before adding it.

        Put 8 lb of sugar in a sauce pan with 2 pt water and 1/2 oz citric acid.
        Bring slowly to the boil, stiring frequently and boil for 30 mins.
        Stir in another 2 pt boiling water and allow to cool.

        This can now be stored in jars. When using allow 1¼ pints in place of each
        lb of household sugar. Remember that each 4 pints will already contain ¼ oz
        of citric acid.

        so it seems that the invertase normally found in yeast combined with a
        slight acid environment, and some heat from yeast activity, gives the
        winemaker's yeast what it needs to break down the fruit sugars.

        It's my guess that if your primary concern is an overly sweet
        finished taste, it's not as big a deal of you're using a factional/column
        distillation...correct?

        Matthew at psibercom spore@...
        Business, Numbers, People, Money
        Time, Travel, Communication, Entertainment
      • Pete Sayers