Re: [Distillers] Inverting sugar

  • Ted Palmer
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2000
      Yes it does work well, but we can dispense with the chalk, yeast likes a low
      pH of about 4.5. If your invert sugar is lower you might think about adding
      chalk or sodium hydroxide(lye) to adjust the pH.
      Ted Palmer
      tpalmer@...

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2000
        Pete, Tony etc,
        Recently used this process myself to start a batch
        after breeding up my starter yeast and was amazed how quick it is and how it
        accelerates the fermentation process. Fermentation trap was bubbling away
        merrily ten minutes after closing and locking the lid. Cant comment
        regarding quality as fermentation is ongoing and havnt distilled the
        finished wash yet.
        B.r., David

        >Hi guys and gals, whilst i personally hav'nt used this process myself, i
        >would imagine it would speed the process of fermentation up a bit, as to a
        >difference in quality, im not sure.
        >regards Pete from Brewers Barn

      • Matt
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2000
          On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 05:30:25PM +1300, Tony & Elle Ackland wrote:
          > A while back, UPS wrote about INVERTING sugar, to make it easier for the
          > yeast to convert it. I saved his comments at
          > http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/sugar.htm#invert . I've also
          > heard about doing this simply by simmering the sugar & water for 5 minutes.

          from this link:
          http://freespace.virgin.net/roger.simmonds/text1.htm

          <<<
          INVERT SUGAR
          This is for the serious enthusiast. When cane sugar is used, the acid
          environment of the fruit juice allows an enzyme in the yeast called sucrase
          (or invertase) to convert the sucrose into the simpler sugars glucose
          (dextrose) and laevulose (fructose) which are then fermented. Although this
          process takes place almost straight away, it can be argued that it is
          better to use sugar that is already inverted. In practise this gives a more
          even fermentation and thus an arguably better quality finished wine. The
          amateur, however, need not worry about this as the difference is likely to
          be negligible. Invert sugar is available to buy, though more costly than
          the household variety. On the other hand it is possible to invert some
          household sugar before adding it.

          Put 8 lb of sugar in a sauce pan with 2 pt water and 1/2 oz citric acid.
          Bring slowly to the boil, stiring frequently and boil for 30 mins.
          Stir in another 2 pt boiling water and allow to cool.

          This can now be stored in jars. When using allow 1¼ pints in place of each
          lb of household sugar. Remember that each 4 pints will already contain ¼ oz
          of citric acid.

          so it seems that the invertase normally found in yeast combined with a
          slight acid environment, and some heat from yeast activity, gives the
          winemaker's yeast what it needs to break down the fruit sugars.

          It's my guess that if your primary concern is an overly sweet
          finished taste, it's not as big a deal of you're using a factional/column
          distillation...correct?

          Matthew at psibercom spore@...
          Business, Numbers, People, Money
          Time, Travel, Communication, Entertainment
        • Pete Sayers