RE: [Distillers] Wort-Yet Again

  • Pete Sayers
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 19, 2000
      Tom check that the nutrients you are buying contain the 4-5 basic nutrients,
      Ammonium phosphate, diammonium phosphate, vitamin b1, and maybe a couple of
      other trace elements. Add 5gms per gallon, and try using a Champagne yeast.
      This may increase the efficiency of your ferment.
      regards pete

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 24, 2000
        Tom, early on I was having problems with incomplete sugar wash
        ferments as well. Once I started acidifying my water my results
        improved (my water is quite alkaline). I use a sugar based wash with
        bakers yeast and have used both Wyeast nutrients and homemade
        nutrients (see previous recent post).

        Currently I have my second wash with home made nutrient fermenting.
        I got about 11% with bakers yeast last time, but over acidified and
        had a ph way below 4.0, so it wasn't a good test of the home made
        nutrient. This time the ph is between 4.0 and 5.0 and the sugar/water
        ratio the same (2 pounds /gallon). Used a 4 oz bottle of bakers
        yeast and will post results when ferment finishes.

        Tar