RE: [Distillers] Re: Law & tobacco

  • Aaron Pelly
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 1, 2003
      ok, and now another sojourn off topic:

      i have heard of chop chop wal... maybe from my mother some years ago... but
      while i lived there i never encountered it. have you?

      i am wondering what form it takes... counterfeit cigarettes? dried, cured
      whole leaf?
      is it imported? grown locally?

    • confederaterebel@aol.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 1, 2003
        just wonderin what "brand" tobacco ya wanna grow......lmao.......good luck
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 2, 2003
          According to a newspaper report (I will try to find it), the source
          is legal growers bypassing the regular route. It is sold apparently
          in pubs (taverns), usually in cut moist form as it weighs more. The
          article suggests that the increase in serious cancers is due to using
          the stuff - this line seems to be similar to the methanol danger in
          moonshine articles.
          Cossacks used to drink a tobacco flavored vodka - what a herbal
          combination!
          Wal
          (I don't smoke)

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron Pelly" <apelly@m...> wrote:
          > ok, and now another sojourn off topic:
          >
          > i have heard of chop chop wal... maybe from my mother some years
          ago... but
          > while i lived there i never encountered it. have you?
          >
          > i am wondering what form it takes... counterfeit cigarettes? dried,
          cured
          > whole leaf?
          > is it imported? grown locally?

        • Allan Goldsmith
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 2, 2003
            I followed your URL Really interesting...the duty is currently $39.426 per l al. don't think I will go into the manufacturing business.
            By the way Mike could you please reply to my question about straight stills I will repost it if you like
            cheers
            Allan
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 2, 2003
              Allan Goldsmith

              I followed your URL Really interesting...the duty is currently $39.426 per l
              al. don't think I will go into the manufacturing business.
              By the way Mike could you please reply to my question about straight stills
              I will repost it if you like
              cheers
              Allan
              ====================
              Sure thing Allan. Tomorrow do? Getting a bit late here right now
              Mike N
            • Dick
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 2, 2003
                In message <013701c328cc$3f79eb60$49d1adcb@CDL207106>, Mike Nixon
                <mike@...> writes
                >Aaron Pelly wrote:
                >Subject: RE: [Distillers] Law
                >I found the exemption for home distilling here
                >http://www.customs.govt.nz/manufacturers/licensing/exemptions.asp
                >It says:
                >There is an exemption from the manufacturing area licensing requirement
                >for any area you use within your private house to manufacture the
                >following:
                >tobacco grown on your own land, manufactured exclusively for your own
                >personal use
                >beer, wine and spirits manufactured exclusively for personal use.
                >What I couldn't find was a definition for "personal use"
                >===================
                Alcohol, tobacco ............. hmmmm - anything about including ladies
                of negotiable affection as well ?????
                --
                Dick
                Fra' Auld Reekie
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 2, 2003
                  I think the increase in cancer is propaganda as " chop chop " is usually properly processed and grown ready to roll tobacco, but with out the addition of chemicals that the companies add to help burning, flavour,shelve life etc.
                  " Just my opinion ".  Tastes better too !  ; )

                  Eat-Drink-Smoke and be Happy.
                  Shane.

                  According to a newspaper report (I will try to find it),  the source
                  is legal growers bypassing the regular route. It is sold apparently
                  in pubs (taverns), usually in cut moist form as it weighs more. The
                  article suggests that the increase in serious cancers is due to using
                  the stuff - this line seems to be similar to the methanol danger in
                  moonshine articles.
                  Cossacks used to drink a tobacco flavored vodka - what a herbal
                  combination!
                  Wal
                  (I don't smoke)

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron Pelly" <apelly@m...> wrote:
                  > ok, and now another sojourn off topic:
                  >
                  > i have heard of chop chop wal... maybe from my mother some years
                  ago... but
                  > while i lived there i never encountered it. have you?
                  >
                  > i am wondering what form it takes... counterfeit cigarettes? dried,
                  cured
                  > whole leaf?
                  > is it imported? grown locally?

                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/e8NolB/TM
                • Wil
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 2, 2003
                    Was he actually "Selling" or making for his own consumption? Seems
                    to me if you're drinking the stuff yourself you ain't evading taxes..

                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, confederaterebel@a... wrote:
                    > funny here in the states......last moonshiner that was busted got
                    a $200
                    > dollar fine for his 3rd offense. the bad part....feds are goin
                    after him fer tax
                    > evasion. he will do time fer tax evasion and not for actually
                    makin moonshine.