Re: [Distillers] Law

  • Mike Nixon
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 1, 2003
      Aaron Pelly wrote:
      Subject: RE: [Distillers] Law

      Actually i was wrong. The customs act is available online at http://www.customs.govt.nz/library/legislation/default.asp

      I found the exemption for home distilling here http://www.customs.govt.nz/manufacturers/licensing/exemptions.asp

      It says:
      There is an exemption from the manufacturing area licensing requirement for any area you use within your private house to manufacture the following:
      tobacco grown on your own land, manufactured exclusively for your own personal use
      beer, wine and spirits manufactured exclusively for personal use.

      What I couldn't find was a definition for "personal use"
      ===================
      The I feel morally bound to extend my activities to tobacco growing :-)
      Mike N

      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 1, 2003
        In Australia,illegal tobacco (chop chop) is worth $AUD45 million a
        year! More profitable than illegal grappa no doubt.
        Wal
        > Aaron Pelly wrote:
        > Subject: RE: [Distillers] Law
        >

        > Actually i was wrong. The customs act is available online at
        http://www.customs.govt.nz/library/legislation/default.asp

        > I found the exemption for home distilling here
        http://www.customs.govt.nz/manufacturers/licensing/exemptions.asp

        > It says:
        > There is an exemption from the manufacturing area licensing
        requirement for any area you use within your private house to
        manufacture the following:
        > tobacco grown on your own land, manufactured exclusively for your
        own personal use
        > beer, wine and spirits manufactured exclusively for personal use.
        >
        > What I couldn't find was a definition for "personal use"
        > ===================
        > The I feel morally bound to extend my activities to tobacco
        growing :-)
        > Mike N
      • Aaron Pelly
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 1, 2003
          ok, and now another sojourn off topic:

          i have heard of chop chop wal... maybe from my mother some years ago... but
          while i lived there i never encountered it. have you?

          i am wondering what form it takes... counterfeit cigarettes? dried, cured
          whole leaf?
          is it imported? grown locally?

        • confederaterebel@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 1, 2003
            just wonderin what "brand" tobacco ya wanna grow......lmao.......good luck
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 2, 2003
              According to a newspaper report (I will try to find it), the source
              is legal growers bypassing the regular route. It is sold apparently
              in pubs (taverns), usually in cut moist form as it weighs more. The
              article suggests that the increase in serious cancers is due to using
              the stuff - this line seems to be similar to the methanol danger in
              moonshine articles.
              Cossacks used to drink a tobacco flavored vodka - what a herbal
              combination!
              Wal
              (I don't smoke)

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron Pelly" <apelly@m...> wrote:
              > ok, and now another sojourn off topic:
              >
              > i have heard of chop chop wal... maybe from my mother some years
              ago... but
              > while i lived there i never encountered it. have you?
              >
              > i am wondering what form it takes... counterfeit cigarettes? dried,
              cured
              > whole leaf?
              > is it imported? grown locally?

            • Allan Goldsmith
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 2, 2003
                I followed your URL Really interesting...the duty is currently $39.426 per l al. don't think I will go into the manufacturing business.
                By the way Mike could you please reply to my question about straight stills I will repost it if you like
                cheers
                Allan

                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 2, 2003
                  Allan Goldsmith

                  I followed your URL Really interesting...the duty is currently $39.426 per l
                  al. don't think I will go into the manufacturing business.
                  By the way Mike could you please reply to my question about straight stills
                  I will repost it if you like
                  cheers
                  Allan
                  ====================
                  Sure thing Allan. Tomorrow do? Getting a bit late here right now
                  Mike N
                • Dick
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 2, 2003
                    In message <013701c328cc$3f79eb60$49d1adcb@CDL207106>, Mike Nixon
                    <mike@...> writes
                    >Aaron Pelly wrote:
                    >Subject: RE: [Distillers] Law
                    >I found the exemption for home distilling here
                    >http://www.customs.govt.nz/manufacturers/licensing/exemptions.asp
                    >It says:
                    >There is an exemption from the manufacturing area licensing requirement
                    >for any area you use within your private house to manufacture the
                    >following:
                    >tobacco grown on your own land, manufactured exclusively for your own
                    >personal use
                    >beer, wine and spirits manufactured exclusively for personal use.
                    >What I couldn't find was a definition for "personal use"
                    >===================
                    Alcohol, tobacco ............. hmmmm - anything about including ladies
                    of negotiable affection as well ?????
                    --
                    Dick
                    Fra' Auld Reekie
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 2, 2003
                      I think the increase in cancer is propaganda as " chop chop " is usually properly processed and grown ready to roll tobacco, but with out the addition of chemicals that the companies add to help burning, flavour,shelve life etc.
                      " Just my opinion ".  Tastes better too !  ; )

                      Eat-Drink-Smoke and be Happy.
                      Shane.

                      According to a newspaper report (I will try to find it),  the source
                      is legal growers bypassing the regular route. It is sold apparently
                      in pubs (taverns), usually in cut moist form as it weighs more. The
                      article suggests that the increase in serious cancers is due to using
                      the stuff - this line seems to be similar to the methanol danger in
                      moonshine articles.
                      Cossacks used to drink a tobacco flavored vodka - what a herbal
                      combination!
                      Wal
                      (I don't smoke)

                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron Pelly" <apelly@m...> wrote:
                      > ok, and now another sojourn off topic:
                      >
                      > i have heard of chop chop wal... maybe from my mother some years
                      ago... but
                      > while i lived there i never encountered it. have you?
                      >
                      > i am wondering what form it takes... counterfeit cigarettes? dried,
                      cured
                      > whole leaf?
                      > is it imported? grown locally?

                      http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/e8NolB/TM
                    • Wil
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 2, 2003
                        Was he actually "Selling" or making for his own consumption? Seems
                        to me if you're drinking the stuff yourself you ain't evading taxes..

                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, confederaterebel@a... wrote:
                        > funny here in the states......last moonshiner that was busted got
                        a $200
                        > dollar fine for his 3rd offense. the bad part....feds are goin
                        after him fer tax
                        > evasion. he will do time fer tax evasion and not for actually
                        makin moonshine.