Re: [Distillers] copper heating elements!

  • Martin
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 1, 2003
      Is this RCD the same device that I know as an "Earth Leakage Unit"?
    • Allan Goldsmith
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 1, 2003
        yep
        Allan
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 1, 2003
          RCD/...is that like a GFCI (USA) ?...wouldnt run my stills on anything
          else...:>)

          >From: "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)" <Tony.Ackland@...>
          >To: <Distillers@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: RE: [Distillers] copper heating elements!
          >Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 11:49:31 +1200
          >
          > > there IS a significant safety issue with tinned copper heating
          > > elements. Not copper in the wash, but pinhole corrosion through the
          > > copper sheath, leading to a dead short circuit, which could lead to
          > > runaway heating of the wash, an electrically "hot" boiler, and of
          > > course, a blown fuse or breaker.
          >
          >Yep ! Gives a nice bang too when it happens. Guess why I'm such a strong
          >advocate for using RCD's whenever theres a combination of electricity and
          >liquid about.
          >
          >Tony

        • Aaron Pelly
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 1, 2003
            i think your name is the correct one martin. the device does indeed detect earth leakage.
            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 2, 2003
              Mike, thank you for explanations. I wonder what is the column working primary downward? and how it is working? Thsnks in advance, Alex...

              mwmccaw <mwmccaw@...> wrote:
              Now a pair of continuous columns, one operating primarily upwards, and one operating primarily downwards, in series could theoretically separate the ethanol and heads from everything else, then separate
              the heads from the ethanol.
              Mike McCaw

              Do you Yahoo!?
            • mwmccaw
              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 2, 2003
                And in the US, they're knows as a "Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter"
                device.
                MM

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Allan Goldsmith"
                <goldsmith@w...> wrote:
                > yep
                > Allan

                distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                Service.
              • mwmccaw
                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 2, 2003
                  Sorry, Alex -
                  What I was describing was the path that the ethanol follows in the
                  two serial columns.
                  In the first column, heated by steam from below, the wash enters in
                  the middle, and water and tails go out the bottom and ethanol and
                  heads go out the top.
                  The ethanol and heads now go to a second column, heated by ethanol
                  vapor from below, and if it is long enough and well enough
                  controlled, the heads exit the top and the ethanol (azeotrope,
                  actually, of course)exits the bottom.
                  MM

                  > Mike, thank you for explanations. I wonder what is the column
                  working primary downward? and how it is working? Thsnks in advance,
                  Alex...

                  > mwmccaw <mwmccaw@y...> wrote:Now a pair of continuous columns, one
                  operating primarily upwards, and one operating primarily downwards,
                  in series could theoretically separate the ethanol and heads from
                  everything else, then separate
                  > the heads from the ethanol.
                  > Mike McCaw

                • Robert Lougee
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 2, 2003
                    Also known as a GFI or Ground Fault Interrupt in the USA. Particularly
                    usefull in the bathroom or kitchen. If an appliance plugged into the
                    GFI falls in the water, it trips to stop current flow and avoid
                    electrocution.

                    "If it pours, drink it."
                    Robert

                    wrote:
                    > yep
                    > Allan

                  • Ken Grady

                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 3, 2003
                        I assume an RCD is the same thing we in N. America would call a GFD
                        (Ground Fault Detector)?

                        I question the need for such a device in the case when your boiler is
                        a properly grounded vessel such as a correctly wired hot water heater.

                        wrote:
                        > RCDs are residual current devices. they trip when the difference in
                        current going through neutral is not equal to the current on phase.
                        (therefore going through your body..eeek)
                        > usually trip at 30 -70 mA in a few microseconds so your heart
                        doesn't stop.
                        > Used in Aus for the first time I believe in the ABBA concert which
                        was held in Sydney in the pouring rain. May be wrong here.
                        > cheers
                        > Allan

                      • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 3, 2003
                          > I assume an RCD is the same thing we in N. America would call a GFD
                          > (Ground Fault Detector)?

                          Yes

                          > I question the need for such a device in the case when your boiler is
                          > a properly grounded vessel such as a correctly wired hot water heater.

                          Incase of accidents - eg the element shorting out, or wires fraying or getting crimped in something (like a door), or liquid spills out over the wiring somehow ... I'm sure you can dream up a scenario. At work, we have mandated that all power points (plug-in and permanent) are to have RCD protection, just for the backup safety they offer. And there have been enough close calls to have made it a wise call. Note that they dont prevent you from getting an electric shock, but hopefully reduce its severity & duration so that it is no longer as dangerous.

                          For me at home its important because my boiler is portable, and not grounded.

                          Tony