RE: [Distillers] copper heating elements!

  • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 1, 2003
      > there IS a significant safety issue with tinned copper heating
      > elements. Not copper in the wash, but pinhole corrosion through the
      > copper sheath, leading to a dead short circuit, which could lead to
      > runaway heating of the wash, an electrically "hot" boiler, and of
      > course, a blown fuse or breaker.

      Yep ! Gives a nice bang too when it happens. Guess why I'm such a strong advocate for using RCD's whenever theres a combination of electricity and liquid about.

      Tony
    • Martin
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 1, 2003
        Tony,

        Please explain what you mean by an "RCD".

        Martin
      • Allan Goldsmith
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 1, 2003
          Agree with you Tony.
          I got the whole workshop bathrooms kitchen etc covered by RCDs on the switchboard at very little extra cost compared with the usual circuit breakers. I believe that in at least some parts of Aus RCDs are code. Wake up NZ!
          cheers
          Allan

          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 1, 2003
            RCDs are residual current devices. they trip when the difference in current going through neutral is not equal to the current on phase.(therefore going through your body..eeek)
            usually trip at 30 -70 mA in a few microseconds so your heart doesn't stop.
            Used in Aus for the first time I believe in the ABBA concert which was held in Sydney in the pouring rain. May be wrong here.
            cheers
            Allan

            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 1, 2003
              Is this RCD the same device that I know as an "Earth Leakage Unit"?
            • Allan Goldsmith
              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 1, 2003
                yep
                Allan
                Is this RCD the same device that I know as an "Earth Leakage Unit"?

              • Harley Daschund
                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 1, 2003
                  RCD/...is that like a GFCI (USA) ?...wouldnt run my stills on anything
                  else...:>)

                  >From: "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)" <Tony.Ackland@...>
                  >To: <Distillers@yahoogroups.com>
                  >Subject: RE: [Distillers] copper heating elements!
                  >Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 11:49:31 +1200
                  >
                  > > there IS a significant safety issue with tinned copper heating
                  > > elements. Not copper in the wash, but pinhole corrosion through the
                  > > copper sheath, leading to a dead short circuit, which could lead to
                  > > runaway heating of the wash, an electrically "hot" boiler, and of
                  > > course, a blown fuse or breaker.
                  >
                  >Yep ! Gives a nice bang too when it happens. Guess why I'm such a strong
                  >advocate for using RCD's whenever theres a combination of electricity and
                  >liquid about.
                  >
                  >Tony

                • Aaron Pelly
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 1, 2003
                    i think your name is the correct one martin. the device does indeed detect earth leakage.
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 2, 2003
                      Mike, thank you for explanations. I wonder what is the column working primary downward? and how it is working? Thsnks in advance, Alex...

                      mwmccaw <mwmccaw@...> wrote:
                      Now a pair of continuous columns, one operating primarily upwards, and one operating primarily downwards, in series could theoretically separate the ethanol and heads from everything else, then separate
                      the heads from the ethanol.
                      Mike McCaw

                      Do you Yahoo!?
                    • mwmccaw
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 2, 2003
                        And in the US, they're knows as a "Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter"
                        device.
                        MM

                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Allan Goldsmith"
                        <goldsmith@w...> wrote:
                        > yep
                        > Allan

                        distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                        Service.
                      • mwmccaw
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 2, 2003
                          Sorry, Alex -
                          What I was describing was the path that the ethanol follows in the
                          two serial columns.
                          In the first column, heated by steam from below, the wash enters in
                          the middle, and water and tails go out the bottom and ethanol and
                          heads go out the top.
                          The ethanol and heads now go to a second column, heated by ethanol
                          vapor from below, and if it is long enough and well enough
                          controlled, the heads exit the top and the ethanol (azeotrope,
                          actually, of course)exits the bottom.
                          MM

                          > Mike, thank you for explanations. I wonder what is the column
                          working primary downward? and how it is working? Thsnks in advance,
                          Alex...

                          > mwmccaw <mwmccaw@y...> wrote:Now a pair of continuous columns, one
                          operating primarily upwards, and one operating primarily downwards,
                          in series could theoretically separate the ethanol and heads from
                          everything else, then separate
                          > the heads from the ethanol.
                          > Mike McCaw

                        • Robert Lougee
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jun 2, 2003
                            Also known as a GFI or Ground Fault Interrupt in the USA. Particularly
                            usefull in the bathroom or kitchen. If an appliance plugged into the
                            GFI falls in the water, it trips to stop current flow and avoid
                            electrocution.

                            "If it pours, drink it."
                            Robert

                            wrote:
                            > yep
                            > Allan

                          • Ken Grady

                              Message 14 of 29 , Jun 3, 2003
                                I assume an RCD is the same thing we in N. America would call a GFD
                                (Ground Fault Detector)?

                                I question the need for such a device in the case when your boiler is
                                a properly grounded vessel such as a correctly wired hot water heater.

                                Message 15 of 29 , Jun 3, 2003
                                  > I assume an RCD is the same thing we in N. America would call a GFD
                                  > (Ground Fault Detector)?

                                  Yes

                                  > I question the need for such a device in the case when your boiler is
                                  > a properly grounded vessel such as a correctly wired hot water heater.

                                  Incase of accidents - eg the element shorting out, or wires fraying or getting crimped in something (like a door), or liquid spills out over the wiring somehow ... I'm sure you can dream up a scenario. At work, we have mandated that all power points (plug-in and permanent) are to have RCD protection, just for the backup safety they offer. And there have been enough close calls to have made it a wise call. Note that they dont prevent you from getting an electric shock, but hopefully reduce its severity & duration so that it is no longer as dangerous.

                                  For me at home its important because my boiler is portable, and not grounded.

                                  Tony