Re: It turned black!!!

  • nanosleep
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 1 12:41 AM
      Same thing here. My elements are now copper looking.
      If I leave a wash sitting in the boiler very long
      the elements get shiny again. I'm sure some of the
      copper is being dissolved into the wash. I'm not
      too worried since the copper contamination can't
      get into my distillate. I typically leave the spent
      wash in the boiler overnight. I don't like picking
      up and pouring out the boiling hot wash. It's much
      safer to handle when cooled. If my elements get
      totally dissolved I'll just spend another $8 for
      each and get a new set!

      -A

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)"
      <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:
      > I too have had wash left in the boiler overnight & had it turn
      black. The element has now lost its tin ? coating and looks a nice
      shiney copper. Not a trick I'll try and repeat.

      > Tony
    • mwmccaw
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 1 10:55 AM
        there IS a significant safety issue with tinned copper heating
        elements. Not copper in the wash, but pinhole corrosion through the
        copper sheath, leading to a dead short circuit, which could lead to
        runaway heating of the wash, an electrically "hot" boiler, and of
        course, a blown fuse or breaker.

        Most water heater-type elements are available in an incoloy or
        niconel sheathed version. These will NOT corrode in any wash we
        might use and will literally last forever.

        I HIGHLY recommend these elements. Yes, they are a few dollars
        more, but well worth it.

        Mike McCaw

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nanosleep" <nanosleep@y...>
        wrote:
        > Same thing here. My elements are now copper looking.
        > If I leave a wash sitting in the boiler very long
        > the elements get shiny again. I'm sure some of the
        > copper is being dissolved into the wash. I'm not
        > too worried since the copper contamination can't
        > get into my distillate. I typically leave the spent
        > wash in the boiler overnight. I don't like picking
        > up and pouring out the boiling hot wash. It's much
        > safer to handle when cooled. If my elements get
        > totally dissolved I'll just spend another $8 for
        > each and get a new set!
        >
        > -A
        >
        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)"
        > <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:
        > > I too have had wash left in the boiler overnight & had it turn
        > black. The element has now lost its tin ? coating and looks a nice
        > shiney copper. Not a trick I'll try and repeat.
        > >
        > > Tony
      • Johan
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 1 11:00 AM
          In Sweden stainless steel elements got the same price as copper, how is it
          in other parts of the world?

          Johan

          wrote:
          > Same thing here. My elements are now copper looking.
          > If I leave a wash sitting in the boiler very long
          > the elements get shiny again. I'm sure some of the
          > copper is being dissolved into the wash. I'm not
          > too worried since the copper contamination can't
          > get into my distillate. I typically leave the spent
          > wash in the boiler overnight. I don't like picking
          > up and pouring out the boiling hot wash. It's much
          > safer to handle when cooled. If my elements get
          > totally dissolved I'll just spend another $8 for
          > each and get a new set!
          >
          > -A
          >
          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)"
          > <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:
          > > I too have had wash left in the boiler overnight & had it turn
          > black. The element has now lost its tin ? coating and looks a nice
          > shiney copper. Not a trick I'll try and repeat.
          > >
          > > Tony

          To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to
          distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

        • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 1 4:49 PM
            > there IS a significant safety issue with tinned copper heating
            > elements. Not copper in the wash, but pinhole corrosion through the
            > copper sheath, leading to a dead short circuit, which could lead to
            > runaway heating of the wash, an electrically "hot" boiler, and of
            > course, a blown fuse or breaker.

            Yep ! Gives a nice bang too when it happens. Guess why I'm such a strong advocate for using RCD's whenever theres a combination of electricity and liquid about.

            Tony
          • Martin
            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 1 5:13 PM
              Tony,

              Please explain what you mean by an "RCD".

              Martin
            • Allan Goldsmith
              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 1 5:25 PM
                Agree with you Tony.
                I got the whole workshop bathrooms kitchen etc covered by RCDs on the switchboard at very little extra cost compared with the usual circuit breakers. I believe that in at least some parts of Aus RCDs are code. Wake up NZ!
                cheers
                Allan

                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 1 5:29 PM
                  RCDs are residual current devices. they trip when the difference in current going through neutral is not equal to the current on phase.(therefore going through your body..eeek)
                  usually trip at 30 -70 mA in a few microseconds so your heart doesn't stop.
                  Used in Aus for the first time I believe in the ABBA concert which was held in Sydney in the pouring rain. May be wrong here.
                  cheers
                  Allan

                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 1 5:35 PM
                    Is this RCD the same device that I know as an "Earth Leakage Unit"?
                  • Allan Goldsmith
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 1 5:49 PM
                      yep
                      Allan
                      Is this RCD the same device that I know as an "Earth Leakage Unit"?

                    • Harley Daschund
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 1 7:35 PM
                        RCD/...is that like a GFCI (USA) ?...wouldnt run my stills on anything
                        else...:>)

                        >From: "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)" <Tony.Ackland@...>
                        >To: <Distillers@yahoogroups.com>
                        >Subject: RE: [Distillers] copper heating elements!
                        >Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 11:49:31 +1200
                        >
                        > > there IS a significant safety issue with tinned copper heating
                        > > elements. Not copper in the wash, but pinhole corrosion through the
                        > > copper sheath, leading to a dead short circuit, which could lead to
                        > > runaway heating of the wash, an electrically "hot" boiler, and of
                        > > course, a blown fuse or breaker.
                        >
                        >Yep ! Gives a nice bang too when it happens. Guess why I'm such a strong
                        >advocate for using RCD's whenever theres a combination of electricity and
                        >liquid about.
                        >
                        >Tony

                      • Aaron Pelly
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 1 10:31 PM
                          i think your name is the correct one martin. the device does indeed detect earth leakage.
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jun 2 4:58 AM
                            Mike, thank you for explanations. I wonder what is the column working primary downward? and how it is working? Thsnks in advance, Alex...

                            mwmccaw <mwmccaw@...> wrote:
                            Now a pair of continuous columns, one operating primarily upwards, and one operating primarily downwards, in series could theoretically separate the ethanol and heads from everything else, then separate
                            the heads from the ethanol.
                            Mike McCaw

                            Do you Yahoo!?
                          • mwmccaw
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jun 2 6:07 AM
                              And in the US, they're knows as a "Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter"
                              device.
                              MM

                              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Allan Goldsmith"
                              <goldsmith@w...> wrote:
                              > yep
                              > Allan

                              Service.
                            • mwmccaw
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jun 2 6:14 AM
                                Sorry, Alex -
                                What I was describing was the path that the ethanol follows in the
                                two serial columns.
                                In the first column, heated by steam from below, the wash enters in
                                the middle, and water and tails go out the bottom and ethanol and
                                heads go out the top.
                                The ethanol and heads now go to a second column, heated by ethanol
                                vapor from below, and if it is long enough and well enough
                                controlled, the heads exit the top and the ethanol (azeotrope,
                                actually, of course)exits the bottom.
                                MM

                                > Mike, thank you for explanations. I wonder what is the column
                                working primary downward? and how it is working? Thsnks in advance,
                                Alex...

                                > mwmccaw <mwmccaw@y...> wrote:Now a pair of continuous columns, one
                                operating primarily upwards, and one operating primarily downwards,
                                in series could theoretically separate the ethanol and heads from
                                everything else, then separate
                                > the heads from the ethanol.
                                > Mike McCaw

                              • Robert Lougee
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jun 2 9:25 AM
                                  Also known as a GFI or Ground Fault Interrupt in the USA. Particularly
                                  usefull in the bathroom or kitchen. If an appliance plugged into the
                                  GFI falls in the water, it trips to stop current flow and avoid
                                  electrocution.

                                  "If it pours, drink it."
                                  Robert

                                  wrote:
                                  > yep
                                  > Allan

                                • Ken Grady

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jun 3 1:09 PM
                                      I assume an RCD is the same thing we in N. America would call a GFD
                                      (Ground Fault Detector)?

                                      I question the need for such a device in the case when your boiler is
                                      a properly grounded vessel such as a correctly wired hot water heater.

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jun 3 1:53 PM
                                        > I assume an RCD is the same thing we in N. America would call a GFD
                                        > (Ground Fault Detector)?

                                        Yes

                                        > I question the need for such a device in the case when your boiler is
                                        > a properly grounded vessel such as a correctly wired hot water heater.

                                        Incase of accidents - eg the element shorting out, or wires fraying or getting crimped in something (like a door), or liquid spills out over the wiring somehow ... I'm sure you can dream up a scenario. At work, we have mandated that all power points (plug-in and permanent) are to have RCD protection, just for the backup safety they offer. And there have been enough close calls to have made it a wise call. Note that they dont prevent you from getting an electric shock, but hopefully reduce its severity & duration so that it is no longer as dangerous.

                                        For me at home its important because my boiler is portable, and not grounded.

                                        Tony