Re: [Distillers] Law in australia

  • tigger bear
    Message 1 of 18 , May 31, 2003
      hase any one known of a case in australia were some poor buggar hase been prosocuted for making his own home spirit,for his own use,, just wondering what the fine would be ,, seems like our govement wonts a buck each way happy to let us import the stuff to make it , even the stills ,then they tax it a few times before we buy it, then there happy to fine us if we get caught making a little scotch,just thieves i guess.

      smbawhisky <smbawhisky@...> wrote:
      Do any of you greatly just and of course law abiding New Zealand
      distillers know how one would be punished for selling any spirit
      manufactured for home use only?
      This is just of course a question of interest, as sites only tell
      that it is legal for home use, no other information regarding laws
      regarding punishment.

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • confederaterebel@aol.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 1, 2003
        funny here in the states......last moonshiner that was busted got a $200 dollar fine for his 3rd offense. the bad part....feds are goin after him fer tax evasion. he will do time fer tax evasion and not for actually makin moonshine.
      • Aaron Pelly
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 1, 2003
          Actually i was wrong. The customs act is available online at http://www.customs.govt.nz/library/legislation/default.asp

          I found the exemption for home distilling here http://www.customs.govt.nz/manufacturers/licensing/exemptions.asp

          It says:
          There is an exemption from the manufacturing area licensing requirement for any area you use within your private house to manufacture the following:
          • tobacco grown on your own land, manufactured exclusively for your own personal use
          • beer, wine and spirits manufactured exclusively for personal use.
          What I couldn't find was a definition for "personal use"
          i realise you were joking mike, but the word is actually supply, not sell... you can be prosecuted for giving it away too.
          =========================
          Good Grief Aaron ... are you saying that I cannot "supply" you with a drink when you visit next????

          A Worried Mike N
        • Mike Nixon
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 1, 2003
            Aaron Pelly wrote:

            Actually i was wrong. The customs act is available online at http://www.customs.govt.nz/library/legislation/default.asp

            I found the exemption for home distilling here http://www.customs.govt.nz/manufacturers/licensing/exemptions.asp

            It says:
            There is an exemption from the manufacturing area licensing requirement for any area you use within your private house to manufacture the following:
            tobacco grown on your own land, manufactured exclusively for your own personal use
            beer, wine and spirits manufactured exclusively for personal use.

            What I couldn't find was a definition for "personal use"
            ===================
            The I feel morally bound to extend my activities to tobacco growing :-)
            Mike N

            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 1, 2003
              In Australia,illegal tobacco (chop chop) is worth $AUD45 million a
              year! More profitable than illegal grappa no doubt.
              Wal
              > Aaron Pelly wrote:
              > Subject: RE: [Distillers] Law
              >

              > Actually i was wrong. The customs act is available online at
              http://www.customs.govt.nz/library/legislation/default.asp

              > I found the exemption for home distilling here
              http://www.customs.govt.nz/manufacturers/licensing/exemptions.asp

              > It says:
              > There is an exemption from the manufacturing area licensing
              requirement for any area you use within your private house to
              manufacture the following:
              > tobacco grown on your own land, manufactured exclusively for your
              own personal use
              > beer, wine and spirits manufactured exclusively for personal use.
              >
              > What I couldn't find was a definition for "personal use"
              > ===================
              > The I feel morally bound to extend my activities to tobacco
              growing :-)
              > Mike N
            • Aaron Pelly
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 1, 2003
                ok, and now another sojourn off topic:

                i have heard of chop chop wal... maybe from my mother some years ago... but
                while i lived there i never encountered it. have you?

                i am wondering what form it takes... counterfeit cigarettes? dried, cured
                whole leaf?
                is it imported? grown locally?

              • confederaterebel@aol.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 1, 2003
                  just wonderin what "brand" tobacco ya wanna grow......lmao.......good luck
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 2, 2003
                    According to a newspaper report (I will try to find it), the source
                    is legal growers bypassing the regular route. It is sold apparently
                    in pubs (taverns), usually in cut moist form as it weighs more. The
                    article suggests that the increase in serious cancers is due to using
                    the stuff - this line seems to be similar to the methanol danger in
                    moonshine articles.
                    Cossacks used to drink a tobacco flavored vodka - what a herbal
                    combination!
                    Wal
                    (I don't smoke)

                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron Pelly" <apelly@m...> wrote:
                    > ok, and now another sojourn off topic:
                    >
                    > i have heard of chop chop wal... maybe from my mother some years
                    ago... but
                    > while i lived there i never encountered it. have you?
                    >
                    > i am wondering what form it takes... counterfeit cigarettes? dried,
                    cured
                    > whole leaf?
                    > is it imported? grown locally?

                  • Allan Goldsmith
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 2, 2003
                      I followed your URL Really interesting...the duty is currently $39.426 per l al. don't think I will go into the manufacturing business.
                      By the way Mike could you please reply to my question about straight stills I will repost it if you like
                      cheers
                      Allan

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 2, 2003
                        Allan Goldsmith

                        I followed your URL Really interesting...the duty is currently $39.426 per l
                        al. don't think I will go into the manufacturing business.
                        By the way Mike could you please reply to my question about straight stills
                        I will repost it if you like
                        cheers
                        Allan
                        ====================
                        Sure thing Allan. Tomorrow do? Getting a bit late here right now
                        Mike N
                      • Dick
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 2, 2003
                          In message <013701c328cc$3f79eb60$49d1adcb@CDL207106>, Mike Nixon
                          <mike@...> writes
                          >Aaron Pelly wrote:
                          >Subject: RE: [Distillers] Law
                          >I found the exemption for home distilling here
                          >http://www.customs.govt.nz/manufacturers/licensing/exemptions.asp
                          >It says:
                          >There is an exemption from the manufacturing area licensing requirement
                          >for any area you use within your private house to manufacture the
                          >following:
                          >tobacco grown on your own land, manufactured exclusively for your own
                          >personal use
                          >beer, wine and spirits manufactured exclusively for personal use.
                          >What I couldn't find was a definition for "personal use"
                          >===================
                          Alcohol, tobacco ............. hmmmm - anything about including ladies
                          of negotiable affection as well ?????
                          --
                          Dick
                          Fra' Auld Reekie
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 2, 2003
                            I think the increase in cancer is propaganda as " chop chop " is usually properly processed and grown ready to roll tobacco, but with out the addition of chemicals that the companies add to help burning, flavour,shelve life etc.
                            " Just my opinion ".  Tastes better too !  ; )

                            Eat-Drink-Smoke and be Happy.
                            Shane.

                            According to a newspaper report (I will try to find it),  the source
                            is legal growers bypassing the regular route. It is sold apparently
                            in pubs (taverns), usually in cut moist form as it weighs more. The
                            article suggests that the increase in serious cancers is due to using
                            the stuff - this line seems to be similar to the methanol danger in
                            moonshine articles.
                            Cossacks used to drink a tobacco flavored vodka - what a herbal
                            combination!
                            Wal
                            (I don't smoke)

                            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron Pelly" <apelly@m...> wrote:
                            > ok, and now another sojourn off topic:
                            >
                            > i have heard of chop chop wal... maybe from my mother some years
                            ago... but
                            > while i lived there i never encountered it. have you?
                            >
                            > i am wondering what form it takes... counterfeit cigarettes? dried,
                            cured
                            > whole leaf?
                            > is it imported? grown locally?

                            http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/e8NolB/TM
                          • Wil
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 2, 2003
                              Was he actually "Selling" or making for his own consumption? Seems
                              to me if you're drinking the stuff yourself you ain't evading taxes..