Law

  • smbawhisky
    Message 1 of 18 , May 31, 2003
      Do any of you greatly just and of course law abiding New Zealand
      distillers know how one would be punished for selling any spirit
      manufactured for home use only?
      This is just of course a question of interest, as sites only tell
      that it is legal for home use, no other information regarding laws
      regarding punishment.
    • Mike Nixon
      Message 2 of 18 , May 31, 2003
        smbawhisky
        Subject: [Distillers] Law

        Do any of you greatly just and of course law abiding New Zealand distillers know how one would be punished for selling any spirit
        manufactured for home use only?
        This is just of course a question of interest, as sites only tell that it is legal for home use, no other information regarding laws
        regarding punishment.
        =========================
        In New Zealand, you may distil for your own use only.  It is illegal to sell it.
        Punishment is severe ... I understand that the minimum sentence is to have to sit through one session of our parliament without either laughing or falling asleep.
        Mike N

      • Aaron Pelly

          Message 4 of 18 , May 31, 2003
            Aaron Pelly wrote:

            i realise you were joking mike, but the word is actually supply, not sell... you can be prosecuted for giving it away too.
            =========================
            Good Grief Aaron ... are you saying that I cannot "supply" you with a drink when you visit next????

            A Worried Mike N

          • tipringwaterpipe
            Message 5 of 18 , May 31, 2003
              Just curiouse, but are you saying it would illegal to share, like pouring a little home brew to that foxy lady next door In hopes of ???......... DAMN!

              i realise you were joking mike, but the word is actually supply, not sell... you can be prosecuted for giving it away too.
              Do any of you greatly just and of course law abiding New Zealand distillers know how one would be punished for selling any spirit
              manufactured for home use only?
              This is just of course a question of interest, as sites only tell that it is legal for home use, no other information regarding laws
              regarding punishment.

              Do you Yahoo!?
            • tigger bear
              Message 6 of 18 , May 31, 2003
                hase any one known of a case in australia were some poor buggar hase been prosocuted for making his own home spirit,for his own use,, just wondering what the fine would be ,, seems like our govement wonts a buck each way happy to let us import the stuff to make it , even the stills ,then they tax it a few times before we buy it, then there happy to fine us if we get caught making a little scotch,just thieves i guess.

              • confederaterebel@aol.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 1, 2003
                  funny here in the states......last moonshiner that was busted got a $200 dollar fine for his 3rd offense. the bad part....feds are goin after him fer tax evasion. he will do time fer tax evasion and not for actually makin moonshine.
                • Aaron Pelly
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 1, 2003
                    Actually i was wrong. The customs act is available online at http://www.customs.govt.nz/library/legislation/default.asp

                    I found the exemption for home distilling here http://www.customs.govt.nz/manufacturers/licensing/exemptions.asp

                    It says:
                    There is an exemption from the manufacturing area licensing requirement for any area you use within your private house to manufacture the following:
                    • tobacco grown on your own land, manufactured exclusively for your own personal use
                    • beer, wine and spirits manufactured exclusively for personal use.
                    What I couldn't find was a definition for "personal use"

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 1, 2003
                      Aaron Pelly wrote:

                      Actually i was wrong. The customs act is available online at http://www.customs.govt.nz/library/legislation/default.asp

                      I found the exemption for home distilling here http://www.customs.govt.nz/manufacturers/licensing/exemptions.asp

                      It says:
                      There is an exemption from the manufacturing area licensing requirement for any area you use within your private house to manufacture the following:
                      tobacco grown on your own land, manufactured exclusively for your own personal use
                      beer, wine and spirits manufactured exclusively for personal use.

                      What I couldn't find was a definition for "personal use"
                      ===================
                      The I feel morally bound to extend my activities to tobacco growing :-)
                      Mike N

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 1, 2003
                        In Australia,illegal tobacco (chop chop) is worth $AUD45 million a
                        year! More profitable than illegal grappa no doubt.
                        Wal
                        > Aaron Pelly wrote:
                        > Subject: RE: [Distillers] Law
                        >

                        > Actually i was wrong. The customs act is available online at
                        http://www.customs.govt.nz/library/legislation/default.asp

                        > I found the exemption for home distilling here
                        http://www.customs.govt.nz/manufacturers/licensing/exemptions.asp

                        > It says:
                        > There is an exemption from the manufacturing area licensing
                        requirement for any area you use within your private house to
                        manufacture the following:
                        > tobacco grown on your own land, manufactured exclusively for your
                        own personal use
                        > beer, wine and spirits manufactured exclusively for personal use.
                        >
                        > What I couldn't find was a definition for "personal use"
                        > ===================
                        > The I feel morally bound to extend my activities to tobacco
                        growing :-)
                        > Mike N
                      • Aaron Pelly
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 1, 2003
                          ok, and now another sojourn off topic:

                          i have heard of chop chop wal... maybe from my mother some years ago... but
                          while i lived there i never encountered it. have you?

                          i am wondering what form it takes... counterfeit cigarettes? dried, cured
                          whole leaf?
                          is it imported? grown locally?

                        • confederaterebel@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 1, 2003
                            just wonderin what "brand" tobacco ya wanna grow......lmao.......good luck
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 2, 2003
                              According to a newspaper report (I will try to find it), the source
                              is legal growers bypassing the regular route. It is sold apparently
                              in pubs (taverns), usually in cut moist form as it weighs more. The
                              article suggests that the increase in serious cancers is due to using
                              the stuff - this line seems to be similar to the methanol danger in
                              moonshine articles.
                              Cossacks used to drink a tobacco flavored vodka - what a herbal
                              combination!
                              Wal
                              (I don't smoke)

                              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron Pelly" <apelly@m...> wrote:
                              > ok, and now another sojourn off topic:
                              >
                              > i have heard of chop chop wal... maybe from my mother some years
                              ago... but
                              > while i lived there i never encountered it. have you?
                              >
                              > i am wondering what form it takes... counterfeit cigarettes? dried,
                              cured
                              > whole leaf?
                              > is it imported? grown locally?

                            • Allan Goldsmith
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 2, 2003
                                I followed your URL Really interesting...the duty is currently $39.426 per l al. don't think I will go into the manufacturing business.
                                By the way Mike could you please reply to my question about straight stills I will repost it if you like
                                cheers
                                Allan

                                Message 15 of 18 , Jun 2, 2003
                                  Allan Goldsmith

                                  I followed your URL Really interesting...the duty is currently $39.426 per l
                                  al. don't think I will go into the manufacturing business.
                                  By the way Mike could you please reply to my question about straight stills
                                  I will repost it if you like
                                  cheers
                                  Allan
                                  ====================
                                  Sure thing Allan. Tomorrow do? Getting a bit late here right now
                                  Mike N
                                • Dick
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jun 2, 2003
                                    In message <013701c328cc$3f79eb60$49d1adcb@CDL207106>, Mike Nixon
                                    <mike@...> writes
                                    >Aaron Pelly wrote:
                                    >Subject: RE: [Distillers] Law
                                    >I found the exemption for home distilling here
                                    >http://www.customs.govt.nz/manufacturers/licensing/exemptions.asp
                                    >It says:
                                    >There is an exemption from the manufacturing area licensing requirement
                                    >for any area you use within your private house to manufacture the
                                    >following:
                                    >tobacco grown on your own land, manufactured exclusively for your own
                                    >personal use
                                    >beer, wine and spirits manufactured exclusively for personal use.
                                    >What I couldn't find was a definition for "personal use"
                                    >===================
                                    Alcohol, tobacco ............. hmmmm - anything about including ladies
                                    of negotiable affection as well ?????
                                    --
                                    Dick
                                    Fra' Auld Reekie
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jun 2, 2003
                                      I think the increase in cancer is propaganda as " chop chop " is usually properly processed and grown ready to roll tobacco, but with out the addition of chemicals that the companies add to help burning, flavour,shelve life etc.
                                      " Just my opinion ".  Tastes better too !  ; )

                                      Eat-Drink-Smoke and be Happy.
                                      Shane.

                                      According to a newspaper report (I will try to find it),  the source
                                      is legal growers bypassing the regular route. It is sold apparently
                                      in pubs (taverns), usually in cut moist form as it weighs more. The
                                      article suggests that the increase in serious cancers is due to using
                                      the stuff - this line seems to be similar to the methanol danger in
                                      moonshine articles.
                                      Cossacks used to drink a tobacco flavored vodka - what a herbal
                                      combination!
                                      Wal
                                      (I don't smoke)

                                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron Pelly" <apelly@m...> wrote:
                                      > ok, and now another sojourn off topic:
                                      >
                                      > i have heard of chop chop wal... maybe from my mother some years
                                      ago... but
                                      > while i lived there i never encountered it. have you?
                                      >
                                      > i am wondering what form it takes... counterfeit cigarettes? dried,
                                      cured
                                      > whole leaf?
                                      > is it imported? grown locally?

                                      http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/e8NolB/TM
                                    • Wil
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jun 2, 2003
                                        Was he actually "Selling" or making for his own consumption? Seems
                                        to me if you're drinking the stuff yourself you ain't evading taxes..