Coffey still

  • mike@xxxxxxxxx.xx.xx
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 15 12:41 AM
      Hi Des,
      Thanks for the fact that the Coffey still was the first continuous
      still. Absolutely true, and still in use all over the world both
      with and without modern innovations. My point to Connie however was
      that it is still (no pun intended) a device that gives a product
      rich in fusel oils, and for the purpose it's put to this is desirable
      as it eventually leads to flavour. However, few of us can afford the time needed to barrel and mature a fine whiskey, and a clean product is what most require. As you know, for this you need a reflux column with rather more plates than the Coffey still provides (this is rapidly getting technical!)

      I am impressed with John Stone's approach (and I have his book too)as
      it's the first I've seen on the net which deals with the production of a pure product without the need to resort to activated carbon - this being a sign of failure in my humble opinion. However, I share your views to some extent about his wash technique - but then we are fortunate here in NZ to have easy access
      to excellent products such as turbo yeast with all the nutrients in one
      package. Faced with the problem of wild yeasts, his use of massive quantities
      of chosen yeast to establish a resistant colony is in the best traditions/practices of microbiology. Ask any cheesemaker! However - stirrers in an environment alive with activity???

      Finally, thank you very much for this group. I haven't had as much fun
      for a long time - once I learn how to write to it properly. I find it a pain
      to end each line with a 'CTRL ENTER' to make my email fit the width of
      the page. Am I missing a technique I should know?

      All the best,

      Mike