Re: Salmiakki Koskenkorva

    Message 1 of 4 , May 29 7:14 PM
      Corrected URL!

      > "Salmiakki Koskenkorva is one of the craziest drinks in the world,
      > and in Finland its consumption is arguably a national pastime."
      > (http://www.metroactive.com/
      > papers/metro/07.18.02/bars-liquor-0229.html)
      >
      > "A derivative of Koskenkorva Viina, a popular Finnish vodka, the
      > booze is made by dissolving a pungent salted black licorice
      > (salmiakki) into the vodka."
      > N.B. 'Viina' is the Finnish term for vodka, in related Estonian, it
      > is 'viin'. Quite possibly it derives from the Dutch 'brandewijn'
      and
      > Swedish 'brannvin'.
      >
      > "Sadly, Salmiakki Koskenkorva is not available outside Finland, but
      > here's how you can make an equivalent: get your hands on any brand
      of
      > Scandinavian salted licorice candies, crush them and dissolve them
      in
      > warm water until you have a thick solution. Let the stuff cool and
      > pour it into a bottle of unflavored vodka. You may have to try this
      > few times in order to get the proportions right, but it's either
      that
      > or go to Finland instead."
      >
      > Wal
    • lapsnuit
      Message 2 of 4 , May 29 10:48 PM
        In the Netherlands we got something called "Drop Likeur" (drop shot)
        this is like a sweetened version of this. Not a popular drink
        however.

        The dutch word for licorice is drop. The most well known brand
        is "Klene". I have never seen it for sale outside the Netherlands.
        Only in New York there's a mailorder company serving the Dutch
        immigrants in US & Canada with Klene drop, and according to a
        reporter who make a documentery about them they are doing very good
        business. (Max Westerman in NY)

        Took some myself to Florida a few times, none of my collegues liked
        it.

        Cheers

        > "Salmiakki Koskenkorva is one of the craziest drinks in the world,
        > and in Finland its consumption is arguably a national pastime."
        > (http://www.metroactive.com/
        > papers/metro/07.18.02/bars-liquor-00229.html)
        >
        > "A derivative of Koskenkorva Viina, a popular Finnish vodka, the
        > booze is made by dissolving a pungent salted black licorice
        > (salmiakki) into the vodka."
        > N.B. 'Viina' is the Finnish term for vodka, in related Estonian,
        it
        > is 'viin'. Quite possibly it derives from the Dutch 'brandewijn'
        and
        > Swedish 'brannvin'.
        >
        > "Sadly, Salmiakki Koskenkorva is not available outside Finland,
        but
        > here's how you can make an equivalent: get your hands on any brand
        of
        > Scandinavian salted licorice candies, crush them and dissolve them
        in
        > warm water until you have a thick solution. Let the stuff cool and
        > pour it into a bottle of unflavored vodka. You may have to try
        this a
        > few times in order to get the proportions right, but it's either
        that
        > or go to Finland instead."
        >
        > Wal
      • Dick
        Message 3 of 4 , May 30 12:15 PM
          In message <bb6dqn+c2f8@...>, waljaco <waljaco@...>
          writes
          >"Salmiakki Koskenkorva is one of the craziest drinks in the world,
          >and in Finland its consumption is arguably a national pastime."
          Having tasted salmiakki koskenkorva a number of times (well she is a
          rather a persuasive Finnish lady) I think the most charitable thing that
          can be said about ii is that it's an acquired taste but not one I intend
          to acquire !!
          --
          Dick
          Fra' Auld Reekie