Salmiakki Koskenkorva

    Message 1 of 4 , May 29 6:57 PM
      "Salmiakki Koskenkorva is one of the craziest drinks in the world,
      and in Finland its consumption is arguably a national pastime."
      (http://www.metroactive.com/
      papers/metro/07.18.02/bars-liquor-00229.html)

      "A derivative of Koskenkorva Viina, a popular Finnish vodka, the
      booze is made by dissolving a pungent salted black licorice
      (salmiakki) into the vodka."
      N.B. 'Viina' is the Finnish term for vodka, in related Estonian, it
      is 'viin'. Quite possibly it derives from the Dutch 'brandewijn' and
      Swedish 'brannvin'.

      "Sadly, Salmiakki Koskenkorva is not available outside Finland, but
      here's how you can make an equivalent: get your hands on any brand of
      Scandinavian salted licorice candies, crush them and dissolve them in
      warm water until you have a thick solution. Let the stuff cool and
      pour it into a bottle of unflavored vodka. You may have to try this a
      few times in order to get the proportions right, but it's either that
      or go to Finland instead."

      Wal
      Message 2 of 4 , May 29 7:14 PM
        Corrected URL!

        > "Salmiakki Koskenkorva is one of the craziest drinks in the world,
        > and in Finland its consumption is arguably a national pastime."
        > (http://www.metroactive.com/
        > papers/metro/07.18.02/bars-liquor-0229.html)
        >
        > "A derivative of Koskenkorva Viina, a popular Finnish vodka, the
        > booze is made by dissolving a pungent salted black licorice
        > (salmiakki) into the vodka."
        > N.B. 'Viina' is the Finnish term for vodka, in related Estonian, it
        > is 'viin'. Quite possibly it derives from the Dutch 'brandewijn'
        and
        > Swedish 'brannvin'.
        >
        > "Sadly, Salmiakki Koskenkorva is not available outside Finland, but
        > here's how you can make an equivalent: get your hands on any brand
        of
        > Scandinavian salted licorice candies, crush them and dissolve them
        in
        > warm water until you have a thick solution. Let the stuff cool and
        > pour it into a bottle of unflavored vodka. You may have to try this
        > few times in order to get the proportions right, but it's either
        that
        > or go to Finland instead."
        >
        > Wal
      • lapsnuit
        Message 3 of 4 , May 29 10:48 PM
          In the Netherlands we got something called "Drop Likeur" (drop shot)
          this is like a sweetened version of this. Not a popular drink
          however.

          The dutch word for licorice is drop. The most well known brand
          is "Klene". I have never seen it for sale outside the Netherlands.
          Only in New York there's a mailorder company serving the Dutch
          immigrants in US & Canada with Klene drop, and according to a
          reporter who make a documentery about them they are doing very good
          business. (Max Westerman in NY)

          Took some myself to Florida a few times, none of my collegues liked
          it.

          Cheers

          > "Salmiakki Koskenkorva is one of the craziest drinks in the world,
          > and in Finland its consumption is arguably a national pastime."
          > (http://www.metroactive.com/
          > papers/metro/07.18.02/bars-liquor-00229.html)
          >
          > "A derivative of Koskenkorva Viina, a popular Finnish vodka, the
          > booze is made by dissolving a pungent salted black licorice
          > (salmiakki) into the vodka."
          > N.B. 'Viina' is the Finnish term for vodka, in related Estonian,
          it
          > is 'viin'. Quite possibly it derives from the Dutch 'brandewijn'
          and
          > Swedish 'brannvin'.
          >
          > "Sadly, Salmiakki Koskenkorva is not available outside Finland,
          but
          > here's how you can make an equivalent: get your hands on any brand
          of
          > Scandinavian salted licorice candies, crush them and dissolve them
          in
          > warm water until you have a thick solution. Let the stuff cool and
          > pour it into a bottle of unflavored vodka. You may have to try
          this a
          > few times in order to get the proportions right, but it's either
          that
          > or go to Finland instead."
          >
          > Wal
        • Dick
          Message 4 of 4 , May 30 12:15 PM
            In message <bb6dqn+c2f8@...>, waljaco <waljaco@...>
            writes
            >"Salmiakki Koskenkorva is one of the craziest drinks in the world,
            >and in Finland its consumption is arguably a national pastime."
            Having tasted salmiakki koskenkorva a number of times (well she is a
            rather a persuasive Finnish lady) I think the most charitable thing that
            can be said about ii is that it's an acquired taste but not one I intend
            to acquire !!
            --
            Dick
            Fra' Auld Reekie