RE: [Distillers] rum recipe

  • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
    Message 1 of 2 , May 29, 2003
      Brandon,

      I've got one bubbling away at the moment. I basically just guess that the sugar content of the molasses is about half that of sugar .. so just replace as per one of your regular sugar recipes. I use 7kg (15lb) of molasses (a 5L container), so reckon that that's worth about 3.5 kg (7.5 lb) of sugar. So I sometimes just do it as is, up to say 20L (5.5 gal) of water, or maybe (like this one), add another 1.5kg (3.3 lb) of sugar so as to boost the alcohol from it. I know that I can still ferment out around 5kg (11 lb) of total sugar in 20L (5.5 gal) with just beer yeast. I've only used one sachet of ale yeast (about 1 teaspoon full ?) that was left for 1hr in a cup of warm water before being added. No nutrients used - it went off like a rocket without it. Fermenting nicely at 22C (72F).

      The ratio of molasses to white/brown sugar depends on how much of that flavour do you want in your rum. I like it heavy, but maybe just your 2 pints of molasses, plus say 8 lb of sugar, topped up to 5-6 gal might be an ok starting point.

      Tony