I need some engineering help.

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 5 , May 27, 2003
      Do any of you know the method for making one of these type cylinders?

      _______
      / \
      / \
      _____________

      The top one needs to be about a 12 1/2in circumference, and the
      bottom one needs to be a 30 in one. I want to put the mash pot in the
      bottom one, and the column in the top one.

      Robert
    • Brandon Lee
      Message 2 of 5 , May 27, 2003
        consult your basic sheet metal manual-- it will tell u exactly how to construct--

        Robert <johnnyreb_27330@...> wrote:
        Do any of you know the method for making one of these type cylinders?

                               _______
                              /       \
                             /         \
                            _____________

        The top one needs to be about a 12 1/2in circumference, and the
        bottom one needs to be a 30 in one. I want to put the mash pot in the
        bottom one, and the column in the top one.

        Robert

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • Ludwig
        Message 3 of 5 , May 27, 2003
          Are you wanting a frustum of a cone? If this is what you want then I can
          calculate the layout measurements for you if you will tell me the center
          height of the cone.

          Ludwig

          Message 4 of 5 , May 31, 2003
            I don't have any tools to fabricate with other than my mechanic
            tools. Here are the plans for my two designs.

            The condensor is an old 55 gallon oil drum we've had sitting around
            here for a while. Don't worry, I've burned it out a few times and
            it's clean. I've had a few ideas for my boiler. The first is to take
            an old 20 quart stainless steel pot and put the mash in it. Then I
            would make some sort of a frustrom cone to make a "chimney" that
            would direct all the vapor to the column. Which I am thinking of
            making out of an old coffee perculator.However, I can't remember how
            to make a frustrom cone, so that idea has been put on the back burner.

            My second idea is to use the pot, but instead of making a "chimney",
            I use the pot's lid and make a hole for column, whatever I make it
            of. If I remember my physics right, air moves from high pressure to
            low pressure. And, given what I know about racing, when tires become
            heated the air inside them compresses and raises their air pressure.
            Since the mash will be boiling the temperature will raise the air
            pressure in the pot, and with the column being cooler than the mash,
            it would literally suck the vapor into it. Of course, that is if I
            remember my science right.

            I'd like to know what you guys think of these ideas. I'd like to use
            something different from a perculator for a column, but I really
            don't have any sort of tools to fabricate with. I'd also like to know
            what's the best material, that I can get fairly cheap, for stuffing
            the column? Any help is appreciated.

            Robert

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Ludwig <Bluestar792@n...> wrote:
            > Are you wanting a frustum of a cone? If this is what you want then
            I can
            > calculate the layout measurements for you if you will tell me the
            center
            > height of the cone.
            >
            > Ludwig
            >
            > Robert wrote:
            > > Do any of you know the method for making one of these type
            cylinders?

            > > _______
            > > / \
            > > / \
            > > _____________
            > >
            > > The top one needs to be about a 12 1/2in circumference, and the
            > > bottom one needs to be a 30 in one. I want to put the mash pot in
            the
            > > bottom one, and the column in the top one.

          • Shane Kirkman
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 1, 2003
              Hi Robert,
               this is the best I could come up with

              Learn how to layout a cone and the formula, these numbers can be replaced with your dimensions.

              The formula for the cone is...

              - First you must find the difference between the large and the small Dia.
              - Multiply the large dia. by the vertical height,
              - divide this product by the difference first obtained large dia and small dia)

              This will give you the length of the center line you need from the top of the cone to the intersecting point (A)

              Large Dia - Small Dia = 20" - 8" = 12"

              Vertical height X Large Dia. 22" x 20"= 440

              440 divided by the product of the difference in dia.

              440 / 12 = 36.66 and this 36.66 is the length

              (c) 2001 The Sheetmetal Shop. Reproduced with kind permission.

              Eat-Drink-Smoke and be Happy.
              Shane.