corn syrup

  • highabv
    Message 1 of 8 , May 24, 2003
      I just ran a quick test. I mixed 2 quarts (1.9L) of "Meijer Light
      Corn Syrup" with 4 gal water. Simmered for 5 minutes and cooled.
      The volume was 6 quarts, and the temperature corrected SG was 1.138
      If I did the math right, that's 103 points per quart per gallon.

      The ingredients listed on the bottle are: light corn syrup, high
      fructose corn syrup, water, salt, vanilla. I have a source for this
      syrup in bulk, and I was looking for an alternative to flaked corn.

      Has anybody else tried to use corn syrup?
    • Wil
      Message 2 of 8 , May 24, 2003
        Im kind of new @ all this and don't even own a hydeometer yet. For
        those of us who are uneducated can you expand upon "and the
        temperature corrected SG was 1.138, If I did the math right, that's
        103 points per quart per gallon"

        Or better yet, Direct me to a site that will give the appropriate
        formulas.

        Thanks!!

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "highabv" <markgofast@h...> wrote:
        > I just ran a quick test. I mixed 2 quarts (1.9L) of "Meijer Light
        > Corn Syrup" with 4 gal water. Simmered for 5 minutes and cooled.
        > The volume was 6 quarts, and the temperature corrected SG was
        1.138
        > If I did the math right, that's 103 points per quart per gallon.
        >
        > The ingredients listed on the bottle are: light corn syrup, high
        > fructose corn syrup, water, salt, vanilla. I have a source for
        this
        > syrup in bulk, and I was looking for an alternative to flaked corn.
        >
        > Has anybody else tried to use corn syrup?
      • Shane Kirkman
        Message 3 of 8 , May 24, 2003
          My Brewshop has cornsyrup in a powdered form. When looked into what it was,
          I found out that corn syrup is Glucose. Available as a liquid or powder.

          Eat-Drink-Smoke and be Happy.
          Shane.

          > I just ran a quick test. I mixed 2 quarts (1.9L) of "Meijer Light
          > Corn Syrup" with 4 gal water. Simmered for 5 minutes and cooled.
          > The volume was 6 quarts, and the temperature corrected SG was 1.138
          > If I did the math right, that's 103 points per quart per gallon.
          >
          > The ingredients listed on the bottle are: light corn syrup, high
          > fructose corn syrup, water, salt, vanilla. I have a source for this
          > syrup in bulk, and I was looking for an alternative to flaked corn.
          >
          > Has anybody else tried to use corn syrup?
          >

          > To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to
          distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

        • rhodeseng
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 7, 2009
            can someone give me the equivalent to use corn syrup rather than cane sugar for a 6 gallon bucket of mash??

            thanks

            cary
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 8, 2009
              Glucose (dextrose). Use 12% more than sucrose in recipes.
              Starch is converted to glucose. Sucrose (cane sugar) splits into glucose and fructose. Fructose gives a cidery taste in beer.
              wal

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rhodeseng" <rhodeseng@...> wrote:

              > can someone give me the equivalent to use corn syrup rather than cane sugar for a 6 gallon bucket of mash??
              >

              > thanks
              >
              > cary

            • rye_junkie1
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 8, 2009

                > Glucose (dextrose). Use 12% more than sucrose in recipes.
                > Starch is converted to glucose. Sucrose (cane sugar) splits into glucose and fructose. Fructose gives a cidery taste in beer.
                > wal
                >
                > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rhodeseng" <rhodeseng@> wrote:
                > >
                > > can someone give me the equivalent to use corn syrup rather than cane sugar for a 6 gallon bucket of mash??
                > >

                > > thanks
                > >
                > > cary

                Some advice on this would be nice as well. I have tried on 3 different occasions to ferment Karo syrup
                http://www.karosyrup.com/products.html
                and have failed miserably so far. Maybe its just the wrong stuff.

                Mason
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 8, 2009
                  There might be a preservative to stop it fermenting?
                  wal
                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@...> wrote:

                  > > Glucose (dextrose). Use 12% more than sucrose in recipes.
                  > > Starch is converted to glucose. Sucrose (cane sugar) splits into glucose and fructose. Fructose gives a cidery taste in beer.
                  > > wal
                  > >
                  > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rhodeseng" <rhodeseng@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > can someone give me the equivalent to use corn syrup rather than cane sugar for a 6 gallon bucket of mash??
                  > > >

                  > > > thanks
                  > > >
                  > > > cary
                  > > >

                  > Some advice on this would be nice as well. I have tried on 3 different occasions to ferment Karo syrup
                  > http://www.karosyrup.com/products.html
                  > and have failed miserably so far. Maybe its just the wrong stuff.
                  >
                  > Mason

                • rhodeseng
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 9, 2009
                    I have tried fermenting with corn syrup several times also.

                    I always makes stinky liquor.

                    Someone had given me 40 gallons of it, so I was trying to make something from it.

                    maybe lawn mower fuel.

                    cary